Native App for IPhone / iPad

Take your Zimbra with you!
thomaspatko

Post by thomaspatko »

Dear Zimbra Developers:
I have read in this Zimbra Mobility Forum that there seems to be some possibility of a native App for iPhone. Is this in the official development plans or just under consideration?
Lastly, is there any plans to offer an App that is optimized for the larger screen of the iPad as well?
I am considering the mobile options for my company and would be interested in what the long terms plans would be for native Zimbra mobile Apps for these Apple products. This is actually part of a larger plan to migrate to Apple desktop/laptop computers in general in our company.
As I am not familiar with the mobile programming API, would they be similar to the Zimbra Desktop type implementation or an all together different code that is written from scratch?
Thank you for your consideration of my question.
Best Regards,
Thomas Patko
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

Why would you need an "app" for the iPad? Just access the web client as per normal. The screen would be large enough, and JS performance fast enough in Safari.
And, with ActiveSync support, you can use the native e-mail, calendar, notes, etc apps.
Same with the iPhone/iPod Touch, although the native tools may be better than mobile Safari on these.
Considering the native interface to Zimbra is the web client, what would you consider an iPhone Zimbra "app" to be?
thomaspatko

Post by thomaspatko »

[quote user="fcash"]Why would you need an "app" for the iPad? Just access the web client as per normal. The screen would be large enough, and JS performance fast enough in Safari.
And, with ActiveSync support, you can use the native e-mail, calendar, notes, etc apps.
Same with the iPhone/iPod Touch, although the native tools may be better than mobile Safari on these.
Considering the native interface to Zimbra is the web client, what would you consider an iPhone Zimbra "app" to be?[/QUOTE]

Hello Freddie:
Thank you very much for the reply. What you describe are all rather good options and I was aware of them. I was more considering something essentially like Zimbra Desktop for iPad as the resolution would be high enough to make this a viable (I think that the iPhone resolution is just too low to make this realistic). Obviously what you describe will grant access to the same data and for the most part the same features. One of the big advantages would be what could be done offline if there was something like Zimbra Desktop for iPad (or whatever it might be called) as oppssed to the other interfaces you reference.
Obviously the Web AJAX interface to Zimbra through Safari would do everything that I have described but only when there is a sufficiently fast 3G or WiFi connection.
Thanks,
Thomas
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Aderium »

I don't know if you are aware but we have been developing a companion for Zimbra that is a native iPhone app available on the iTunes Store or iPhone App Store since December 12th. The application is an active development with a road map to include all Zimbra services.
Aderium Companion for Zimbra for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Aderium Companion for Zimbra iPhone Application
krabina
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0

Post by krabina »

A question regarding the Aderium Companion. The current version 1.3 is still not able to sync tasks in the original tasks folder. It works in a newly added test folder, but it would not show the original tasks folder (it shows the folder, but nothing in it). Maybe this is due to my German version of Zimbra.
Bernhard
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Aderium »

Krabina,
You are correct when you say that version 1.3 does not support all task features. Thanks to the feedback of current users we have improved the stability of tasks in version 1.4.1 . We are in the process of submitting the new version to the App store and are waiting for Apple to review the update. We should see the update released shortly.
In this version the Aderium Companion for Zimbra provides the following task improvements.
- Bug Fixes

- Ability to read Nested Task folders

- Ability to display task that do not carry a Start or Due Date [ possible bug carried over from Outlook Connector ]
You can reach our support line at acsupport@aderium.com if you have any other comments or leave your feedback in the following thread
http://www.zimbra.com/forums/mobility/3 ... tasks.html
thomaspatko

Post by thomaspatko »

[quote user="Aderium"]Krabina,
You are correct when you say that version 1.3 does not support all task features. Thanks to the feedback of current users we have improved the stability of tasks in version 1.4.1 . We are in the process of submitting the new version to the App store and are waiting for Apple to review the update. We should see the update released shortly.
In this version the Aderium Companion for Zimbra provides the following task improvements.
- Bug Fixes

- Ability to read Nested Task folders

- Ability to display task that do not carry a Start or Due Date [ possible bug carried over from Outlook Connector ]
You can reach our support line at acsupport@aderium.com if you have any other comments or leave your feedback in the following thread
http://www.zimbra.com/forums/mobility/3 ... tasks.html[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to the Aderium app for Android smartphones?
--Thomas
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Aderium »

Thomaspatko,
We are working on an Adroid version of the Companion app with same capabilities !! :) Stay Tuned
Rrdaniel2

Post by Rrdaniel2 »

Any chance that Zimbra Calendar ...or even more ambitiously, Zimbra mail might show up as an iPad app? Specifically, I mean something like Desktop, where when traveling I could download a batch of mail when wifi is available, then read it while in the air, in a train or otherwise away from wifi.
Just dreaming, I guess.
-rrdaniel2
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

Isn't that what Aderium does?
For that matter you can download/cache mail from Zimbra via IMAP using the built in Mail app. (You could also use POP, though I wouldn't recommend it.) If you have Zimbra Mobile on your server, ActiveSync is also an option.
For locally cached Calendar, ActiveSync works well. CalDAV on iPhone OS is still evolving--I don't think you have access to the same features, but at least you can retrieve your calendar, and you can probably create events on it which will sync with the server the next time you're on the net.