Shortcuts in web interface stop working from time to time

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
skyflyer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by skyflyer »

I'm using Chrome on Mac. I'm a heavy shortcut user. Is anyone else experiencing that shortcuts stop working from time to time? I've identified two seprate issues:
1) When I reload, shortcuts work as expected, but then, from time to time, they stop responding. Reloading the page fixes the problem
2) When composing a new message using "c" shortcut, you would normally end up in the "To:" field. So, for instance, I type "czimbra@foobar.com", which would start a message to "zimbra@foobar.com", but only "z" would end up in the "To:" field and "imbra@foobar.com" would end up in the message body.
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8 NE & ZCS 8 FOSS

Post by cayaraa »

I've experienced the issue with 1) as well using both FF and Chrome on linux and I've had a report from an end user of it happening on a mac. I've noticed that if you right click to bring up the zimbra menu and then click somewhere else then shortcuts start working again. I've been meaning to search through bugzilla to see if is been reported but never got around to it...plus it doesn't seem to be repeatable which ends up getting a "works for me" status in the bug report.

Can't say that 2) happens for me.

-Aaron
skyflyer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by skyflyer »

OK, at least I'm not alone. I'm to trying to see how to reproduce this in order to file a bug. Can't seem to figure it out, though.
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by cayaraa »

This sounds like it: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=88437 and as expected they are having issues reproducing it.
skyflyer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by skyflyer »

Very good catch! Hard to reproduce, indeed. I'll try to see if I find a pattern...
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by cayaraa »

I was just playing around with canceling actions like they were talking about in the bug report and might have been able to reproduce it:

1) Have an email highlighted and it "t" to bring up the tag dialog.

2) Hit "Esc" to cancel it.

3) All shortcuts fail to work

4) Right click to bring up a zimbra menu or reload browser

5) Shortcuts are working again.
skyflyer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by skyflyer »

"Sadly", I can't repro this. It works for me...
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by cayaraa »

*sigh* yeah I was able to reproduce it on chrome and FF with my account but then tried it with a test account and it was working correctly there.
cdamon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by cdamon »

There's good news and bad news. The bad news is that there appears to be multiple ways for shortcuts to stop working; it boils down to a focus problem, where we don't have an element in our system that has focus so we don't catch the key event. The good news is that the dialog-canceling scenario has been fixed. It rings a bell (I think I was the one who fixed it), but I can't find the bug. The other scenario I've seen is related to the HTML editor. After some sequence of steps, focus has become stranded in the editor (even when it is not being shown), and events are not being propagated.

One way to check that is you're so inclined is to pull up a debugger (Cmd+Opt+I on Mac Chrome, for example), and in the console type "document.activeElement" and hit Return. That will tell you what element in the browser has focus. For the editor issue described above, it will be an IFRAME. I have yet to find repro steps. If anyone finds them, please add them to bug 88437.
skyflyer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by skyflyer »

It happened again right now. After a relatively fresh reload.
At first, active element was:
<iframe id="ZmHtmlEditor1_body_ifr" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" title="Rich Text Area. Press ALT-F9 for menu. Press ALT-F10 for toolbar. Press ALT-0 for help" src='javascript:""' style="width: 1763px; height: 633px; display: block;"></iframe>
Then, after clicking inside the message list and entering "c" to compose, ESC to cancel, they stopped working again. The active element was:
<input class="addrInputField user_font_system" id="zv__COMPOSE-1_to_control" aria-label="To" style="width: 30px;">

which is interesting, even though that compose window is not visible. Even right click in an empty area below message list didn't work. Clicking on the message in the message list restores shortcuts. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this reliably - it happens sporadically. I'll be running with dev=1 today and see if that makes a difference.