Welcome

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Welcome

Post by 14319KevinH »

We're pleased to announce the open source, Beta release of the Zimbra Collaboration Suite, which is available via hosted demo as well as full download, at http://www.zimbra.com. We're also launching the Community area of our website with documentation, whitepapers, forums, blogs, and more.
The Zimbra Collaboration Suite Beta includes enterprise-grade email, contacts & group calendaring, accessible via our rich AJAX browser-based client, as well as via IMAP, POP, & iCalendar desktop & mobile clients. The Zimbra hosted demo will give you a sense for how the Zimbra Community is working to make email better. We hope you'll also be impressed with the Zimbra server's scalability, security, storage management and extensibility (via Web Services) -- benefits that accrue in part from our reliance on excellent open source technologies such as Linux, MySQL, Apache, Postfix, and others.
The Zimbra Beta server runs on Fedora Core 3 and Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 (other ports coming soon), while the Zimbra client runs on Windows, Mac & Linux, and in Firefox & IE browsers. In the coming weeks, we'll provide you with more information on the launch of the Zimbra Network, which includes product support and other services. In the meantime, we invite your feedback and questions, and hope you'll consider participating in the new Zimbra Community.
-Zimbra Team
slylos

Welcome

Post by slylos »

When will a SuSE package be available?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Welcome

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="slylos"]When will a SuSE package be available?[/QUOTE]
We are working on making the source easier to port(Makefile and dependancy reorganization). Once this is done it Zimbra will be able to build on more platforms. There is no date, as soon as we can we'll get it out. We already started on this internally.
slylos

Welcome

Post by slylos »

That sounds good, what do I do in the mean time if I want to compile on SuSE? Is this a major pain?
[quote user="14319KevinH"]We are working on making the source easier to port(Makefile and dependancy reorganization). Once this is done it Zimbra will be able to build on more platforms. There is no date, as soon as we can we'll get it out. We already started on this internally.[/QUOTE]
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Welcome

Post by 14319KevinH »

You can try be grabing the src and running make but you'll run into issues. The first that comes to mind is that iptables by default in the SUSE kernel doesn't allow port forwarding to localhost. So you'd need to recompile the kernel. We will move away from iptables as part of the portabiliy changes that are coming.
slylos

Welcome

Post by slylos »

Will the package you have available for FC3 also work with FC4?
[quote user="14319KevinH"]You can try be grabing the src and running make but you'll run into issues. The first that comes to mind is that iptables by default in the SUSE kernel doesn't allow port forwarding to localhost. So you'd need to recompile the kernel. We will move away from iptables as part of the portabiliy changes that are coming.[/QUOTE]
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Welcome

Post by 14319KevinH »

It can be made to work. Take a look at the threads in the Install forum. You'll need to add a couple SSL related lib links.
slylos

Welcome

Post by slylos »

Thanks for all of your help KevinH! I will take a look at that and go from there. I plan on getting Zimbra up and running, then working on C# bindings for your SOAP messages (as stated on the Developer Zone page). I'm not quite sure where to start, though bburtin has pointed me to ZimbraServer/docs/soap*, so I will take a look at those. Thanks again!!
[quote user="14319KevinH"]It can be made to work. Take a look at the threads in the Install forum. You'll need to add a couple SSL related lib links.[/QUOTE]