What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
agnOstos
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by agnOstos »

Will there be contact sharing in the OSS version? I know I'm greedy but my company no way in hell will pay $30/user per year. Ever work for one of those? :D
BTW! Zimbra kicks arse! If I can get them to pay it I will.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="agnOstos"]Will there be contact sharing in the OSS version? I know I'm greedy but my company no way in hell will pay $30/user per year. Ever work for one of those? :D
BTW! Zimbra kicks arse! If I can get them to pay it I will.[/QUOTE]
It may. Hard to say until we get there. We don't really plan features around if they'll be Network or OSS. We just just strive to add functionally that people need.
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Aderium »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]At this time we plan to support the Outlook MAPI connector in the Network Edition only. If you've got additional questions on this you can PM me or use our sales _at_ zimbra.com email address.[/QUOTE]

Will Zimbra be able to support groupware integration (exp. Outlook/Mapi ) for the Mac Users with Programs like Entourage ?
P.S.I understand that the AddressBook/iCal/Mail solution would not be an option because iCal does not allow other users to edit a calendar and at this time the Mac Desktop users are lacking an integration to groupware except for Exchange/Entourage or Kerio/Entourage
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="Aderium"]Will Zimbra be able to support groupware integration (exp. Outlook/Mapi ) for the Mac Users with Programs like Entourage ?
P.S.I understand that the AddressBook/iCal/Mail solution would not be an option because iCal does not allow other users to edit a calendar and at this time the Mac Desktop users are lacking an integration to groupware except for Exchange/Entourage or Kerio/Entourage[/QUOTE]
At this time we don't have plans for a MAPI plugin for Entourage. We've looked at providing an iSync adaptor which cover calendar and contacts. IMAP can be used today mail access. Of course the webclient works in Firefox even on Mac. We also plan on adding Safari support in the future.
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Aderium »

what has been the outcome of an iSync adaptor so far ?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="Aderium"]what has been the outcome of an iSync adaptor so far ?[/QUOTE]
Just something we've talked about internally.
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by schemers »

We have started some prototype work on the iSync adaptor, and it is going well. Probably will be ready early next year, if all goes well.
roland
jegerevan

Post by jegerevan »

I defiantely think it would be a great idea to include 'level's of the network offering. In our organisation and many others..there is permanent staff and temp, contracting, work experience staff etc..that only need basic email services for a short amount of time. The great thing about that would be for instance - Contractors etc usually need mailbox setup's done with short or very little notice as compared to the predicted permanent employee. Having the option to quickly set them up with limited features without having to purchase additional licenses would be the icing on the cake for the network verions of the server =)
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="jegerevan"]I defiantely think it would be a great idea to include 'level's of the network offering. In our organisation and many others..there is permanent staff and temp, contracting, work experience staff etc..that only need basic email services for a short amount of time. The great thing about that would be for instance - Contractors etc usually need mailbox setup's done with short or very little notice as compared to the predicted permanent employee. Having the option to quickly set them up with limited features without having to purchase additional licenses would be the icing on the cake for the network verions of the server =)[/QUOTE]
If you have a specfic need please email our sales team sales _AT_ zimbra.com While we don't have levels today your specfic situation may help us provide you with what you need.
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Aderium »

Hi There,
What is he status of the OS X port, we are craving to get this trial going o our servers !
Also I think that it would be nice to have a timeframe for the mobile usage (treo/blackberry and so on) I think a lot of companies depend on it to move out of their present systems.
:)