port 25 connection fails

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
corefile

port 25 connection fails

Post by corefile »

I have a box on DSL, that is behind a NAT, mail server has a private ip address, I'm forwarding all the required ports
I have a example.com and a DNS entry of mail.example.com that points to a real IP address

64.190.20.20 (made up to protect the innocent) that is the public dsl address.
my /etc/hosts

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs

# that require network functionality will fail.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.100.10 mail.example.com mail
First ? should that entry be nat's private address as it is, or should it be the public ip of my DSL.
Ok so here is my first problem.
I can "telnet localhost 25" and conect to the mail server, but when I "telnet 192.168.100.10 25" I get connection refused. I have iptables off for testing. And I can get web part of zimbra so I can connect to 192.168.100.10 to connect to other services just fine.
So what have I done wrong.
FYI, this is only temorary till I move the box to the datacenter. But I'd like to get it working and test zimbra before I move it.
corefile

port 25 connection fails

Post by corefile »

found the problem, sendmail was running too, once I turned that off it work, but still any info on the nat setup would be appreciated
corefile

port 25 connection fails

Post by corefile »

ok so I can telnet to the ports but I can recieve or send. I believe my ISP is blocking outgoing smtp, as I can't telnet to anyones port 25.
when I recieve mail I see it hit my logs, but I never get it. I think cause it trys to send to to the domain name and that is the public IP address
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

port 25 connection fails

Post by bobby »

what exactly do you see in /var/log/zimbra.log?
do you have dns lookups enabled? if so you'll have to run dns locally (or disable it).
if the isp is blocking outbound 25, they should have their smtp mta available, which you can enter in zimbra as the relay host.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

port 25 connection fails

Post by marcmac »

search the forums - it's probably the fastest way to find out that you've got a log in /var/log/zimbra.log that looks like:

.* postfix/lmtp .* connection refused
and the solution is to split DNS or to forward port 7025