zmtrainsa tutorial

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sgb

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by sgb »

Hello, I'm new to Zimbra and I have it installed for a small comapny of about 10 users. I have read that when you delete emails as spam they only get moved to the spam folder. I have also messed around with the tag and spam settings and have the spam tag set to 60 and the tag set to 20 which started working better for a while, but now I'm getting more and more spam. I have read you can feed spam and ham to the server, but I haven't been able to find a how-to or documentation on how to do this. :confused:

If anybody knows where I can find this or just explain how to do this would be great.
Thank you..
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by phoenix »

You can run zmtrainsa against the junk mailbox (which is where mail ends-up when you hit the junk button. It is documented but briefly the format is:
zmtrainsa servername username password spam spammailbox
If you want to train ham the change the last two items to 'ham hammailbox'. Do a search of the forums, it has been covered many times.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
sgb

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by sgb »

Thanks, do I have to do this for every user and its junk mail folder?

I read in the forums I needed to do this to the zmisspam mailbox, however I don't have this account, do I need to create this account? and if I do how do I transfer my spam and my users spam tho this account?

I do have these two wierd accounts that were created by the installation

9es2lc.p@mydomain.com and 2s4ekwhlr@mydomain.com

I have no idea what they are or what they are used for..

I'm sorry if I am asking questions that have been covered in the forums before, it is just I haven't been able to find them.
Thanks again
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by phoenix »

Those two accounts are the ones that Zimbra sets-up for spam training. If you're going to do it manually then you need to do it for every user/mailbox on your system - this has all been covered in the forums.
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that your spam has increased with those levels you've go set. I have mine set similar to that and als have DSPAM installed and I see no spam whatsoever.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sgb

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by sgb »

How do I do it automatically? as opposed to manually?
This is what I get when I try to run the command on the account that seems to be catching all the spam we mark as junk.
[zimbra@mi6 bin]$ ./zmtrainsa myserver@mydomain.com 9es2lc.p passwd spam 9es2lc.p@mydomain.com

fetchmail: mailbox selection failed

fetchmail: client/server synchronization error while fetching from myserver@mydomain.com

fetchmail: Query status=7 (ERROR)

bayes: synced databases from journal in 0 seconds: 413 unique entries (656 total entries)

Thanks again
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by marcmac »

You could do it automatically with a cron job.
We're working (as I speak) on getting the automated training up and running, which will obviate the need for manual training.
sgb

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by sgb »

I'm really frustraded, I ran the zimtrainsa and fed it about 2500 spam emails, restarted the server and I'm still getting the same spam emails I just fed the server!!!! :mad:

Does spam assasin really works on the Zimbra implementation?? or do I have to install dspam? :confused:
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="sgb"]I'm really frustraded, I ran the zimtrainsa and fed it about 2500 spam emails, restarted the server and I'm still getting the same spam emails I just fed the server!!!! :mad:

Does spam assasin really works on the Zimbra implementation?? or do I have to install dspam? :confused:[/QUOTE]
Did you check the headers of the incoming email? What do they say? Why don't you post an example or two here. Did you try to lower your kill value so SA is a bit more aggressive? Do you have the RBLs enabled?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

zmtrainsa tutorial

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sgb"]I'm really frustraded, I ran the zimtrainsa and fed it about 2500 spam emails, restarted the server and I'm still getting the same spam emails I just fed the server!!!! :mad:

Does spam assasin really works on the Zimbra implementation?? or do I have to install dspam? :confused:[/QUOTE]

You could also use something like rulesdujour that will update your SA rules on a regular basis.
IMO, DSPAM is a better anti-spam solution than SA - however, as SA comes with Zimbra I have installed DSPAM as well. You can also filter any messages that have 'spam' in the headers.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra