Cyrus & IMAP IDLE command

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi
I want to implement an email application called ChatterEmail on a Treo 650 to connect to Zimbra. For true "push" support it needs an IMAP server that implements the "IDLE" command, does Cyrus in Zimbra do this? If not, will it be implemented? Where do you store the Cyrus config files?
Regards
Bill
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
13445raj
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13445raj »

Hi

Zimbra Dir Structure is explained here to find anything:

http://www.zimbra.com/downloads/zimbra_ ... ml#1036235
cyrus protocol specs says it can support IDLE (RFC 2177 IMAP4 IDLE command )

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/specs.html
but i dont know if Zimbra compile "--with idled "

Cyrus docs says

rpm --rebuild --with idled --define='SEEN_DB skiplist' cyrus-imapd-x.x.x-xmdk.src.rpm
idled

Compile the idled daemon to manage imap idle command.

Remember to start the idled daemon in /etc/cyrus.conf
if not then you can compile your own and plug it in..dont know how but that is logical answer
Raj S Vrach

i2k2systems.com
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dkarp »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]I want to implement an email application called ChatterEmail on a Treo 650 to connect to Zimbra. For true "push" support it needs an IMAP server that implements the "IDLE" command, does Cyrus in Zimbra do this? If not, will it be implemented? Where do you store the Cyrus config files?[/QUOTE]

To correct a misperception, we don't use Cyrus for IMAP. As far as I know (and Roland can correct me if I'm wrong), all we use from Cyrus is one of their tools for SASL authentication for SMTP auth.
Our IMAP server is integrated into our mail server, and it does indeed support IDLE right out of the box. See this blog post for a list of all supported IMAP and POP extensions (and some POP easter eggs!).
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by schemers »

Typo in the blog link:

roland">http://oompahzing.blogspot.com/2005/10/ ... pport.html
roland
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Ah, that's my problem - being a Linux novice I was assuming that a complete version of Cyrus was installed for the IMAP as well. I still can't get my head around the fact you can use 'bits' of products. :eek:
Anyway, that sounds promising that you use the "IDLE" command so I'll try my email app and see what happens.
Many thanks.
Regards
Bill
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
4534eddie

Post by 4534eddie »

telnet sjmail 143

Trying 10.xx.xx.xx...

Connected to sjmail.xx.xx.xx (10.xx.xx.xx).

Escape character is '^]'.

* OK sjmail.xxx.xxx.xxx Zimbra IMAP4rev1 service ready

a001 capability

* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LOGINDISABLED STARTTLS CHILDREN ID LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS NAMESPACE QUOTA UIDPLUS UNSELECT

abcd OK CAPABILITY completed
According to the RFC, if IDLE is not advertised in a response to the CAPABILITY command, the client is forbidden from issuing the IDLE command. BTW, I'm trying this on the opensource version. Is IDLE only supported in the paid product?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

IDLE was removed due to some bugs where bad clients would drop the connection and hang Tomcat. We intend to put it back in when this bug is fixed. Might not be the next release but shouldn't be too long after that. This is the case for both Network and OSS.
1230zaf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 1230zaf »

Any idea when IDLE will be fixed? That functionality along with ChatterEmail had us able to have 'push' email to the Treo, and was great.
Or is there any word on the upcoming mobile sync functionality?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="1230zaf"]Any idea when IDLE will be fixed? That functionality along with ChatterEmail had us able to have 'push' email to the Treo, and was great.
Or is there any word on the upcoming mobile sync functionality?[/QUOTE]
IMAP IDLE and a few other related IMAP performance changes should be in the next major release. Timing on that is late Q1 or early Q2. As for other mobile sync technology that is planned to be public beta around the same timeframe.
http://www.zimbra.com/products/roadmap.html
4534eddie

Post by 4534eddie »

We just installed 3.1 and it looks like IDLE support didn't make it in. Is there a specific target release for this fix? Please update.
Thanks.