[SOLVED] Error during installation on DEBIAN 3.1 in a VMWARE-5.5.1 VM.

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

When I try to install zimbra on a DEBIAN 3.1 host in VMware 5.5.1, I get the following message and zimbr does not start :
Adding test.ccdmd.qc.ca to zimbraMailHostool in default COS...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.ComunicationException test.ccdmd.qc.ca:389) ERROR: service:FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException test.ccdmd.qc.ca:389)

Done
Any one had this isue before?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

How much memory does the VM have? How much memory on the VM Host? Does it match the minimum specs for zimbra? Are all the Zimbra services running, including LDAP?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

Once the install finishes, if I su - zimbra and then zmcontrol status, no services are running but in top i can see that LDAP is running and MySQL is running.
The VM machine has 8G of disk and 256 of ram. The machine I run it on has 1G of ram so I might try it with 512 of ram since it did ran with this amount of memory on an other system.
I totally forgot to try this.
Thanx for pointing this out!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Zimbra uses a lot of memory and if this is just a test machine then there are posts in the forums that detail how to disable some services (logger, for instance) and reduce the memory consumption. I'd think that in a VM you might still be struggling to get good performance with only 512Mb. Certainly try it at that amount, you can always start again. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

Uping the memory to 512 did not do the trick.
So I created a second VM ad reinstaled Debian in it. the things I did different is that I created a larger virtual drive, 20G instead of the default 8G and I prealocated the space to the virtual drive instead of letting the drive "grow" as data is being copied to it. I also did from the begining turned the memory up to 512.
Now it seems to work and Zimbra is starting normally inside the VM.
Thanx for your help.