Zimbra and citrix

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
1642Dale

Zimbra and citrix

Post by 1642Dale »

Hey all.
Just wondering if anyone is using Zimbra through Citrix Pres Svr 4?
If so, a couple of questions:
- How's it go with IE6?

- Any problems running it through CSG/NFuse over SLL?

- Is the client/server sync slow through Citrix (we have links spanning the whole of Australia east-west and north-south, as well as to three sites in New Zealand)?

- Are there any other issues you face/d in setting up and using Zimbra through Citrix?
Note:

Our users ONLY use Citrix through CSG/NFuse via web client. No direct ICA or RDP connections.
Dale
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra and citrix

Post by jholder »

HI I'm using Citrix Presentation server 4.
I havn't tried using Zimbra thorugh it. We use Citirix because we have several campuses that are far away, and need to use programs very quickly.
because of the method of transport, I don't see a use for Citrix and Zimbra. They both have client end apps

ICA Client

WEbUI client
Are you having speed issues with zimbra? If you are, perhaps you could track those down.
1642Dale

Zimbra and citrix

Post by 1642Dale »

Thanks for the reply.
The reason I was asking is one of our divisions wants to put Zimbra in (they currently run through our exchange server). We do not use Exchange web access as every user has a citrix account which they can access from anywhere in the world via the CSG+SSL (the web front end for citrix). Plus it avoids opening those infamous exchange ports on our firewall. In fact, our exchange server is internal only, not accessible from external or DMZ.
We don't allow remote syncs with the exchange server only direct access. So no server access, no email. This eliminates traffic from exchange over citrix unless the user is actually doing something in outlook at that time. I note (correct me if I'm wrong though) that Zimbra does not support this with MAPI, only via remote sync. If so, then this is a large increase in traffic across the citrix link just for an application that is open for 95% of the time and used for 5% of that. This is critical for us due to our business application which generates 90% of our citrix traffic and any increase in email traffic over citrix will hamper our prime application.
So basically, our users log into citrix via the internet, then access outlook and our business application as shared applications which connects them to our internal servers. We don't allow direct ICA connections, only ICA web client connections (which are authenticated by the CSG and network gateway).
My question came about because if this division takes this path (and they can within our company as we only provide network services for them and they are seperate) then they can only access Zimbra via citrix web-client. Thus I will need to include in my report to them any potential impact on the business app.
Yes, I know it's complex how we work, but nothings easy in enterprise IT. :D
Dale
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra and citrix

Post by jholder »

[quote user="1642Dale"]Yes, I know it's complex how we work, but nothings easy in enterprise IT. :D
Dale[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well it adds to job security.
As long as your DNS is set up correctly, there will be no forseeable impact on citrix. As a matter of fact, it would be faster if your host browser machine were on the same subnet as your zimbra machine.
Good luck!
1642Dale

Zimbra and citrix

Post by 1642Dale »

Actually, both machines would be on the same subnet. Only the citrix gateway is on the WAN subnet in this scenario. Citrix farm and email server (part of SAN) are internal subnet. Come to think of it, only screen refreshes would travel the citrix links not email syncs (my mistake above).
Cool thanks for the answers.
Dale
Splat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra and citrix

Post by Splat »

We just started using zimbra with Citrix PS4. Each user requires about 30mb each. currently we have about 50 users using the web interface through citrix.