zmmailboxdctl fails - Insufficient threads

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Sam252

zmmailboxdctl fails - Insufficient threads

Post by Sam252 »

Zimbra is running under Oracle Linux 7.7 VM. Earlier the VM had 4 CPUs added and an additional 12GB of memory. This was after I had read through some of the "Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Performanc ... ments#HTTP" . While I do not have a large deployment, I have been experiencing significant performance issues for some time. Anyways, zmmailboxdctl fails and what I get logged in /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd.out is the following:

Code: Select all

2020-01-20 14:48:11.111:INFO:oejs.Server:main: jetty-9.3.5.v20151012
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:214)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.start(Main.java:457)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.main(Main.java:75)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Insufficient threads: max=30 < needed(acceptors=10 + selectors=20 + request=1)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:368)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.xml.XmlConfiguration$1.run(XmlConfiguration.java:1510)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.xml.XmlConfiguration.main(XmlConfiguration.java:1435)
	... 7 more
I found one thread on Google that was never followed up on. I did a basic search on increasing the threads as per the error, and thought to try "zmlocalconfig -e zimbraLmtpNumThreads=10". When that had no effect, I did try a couple other values to no effect. I do notice though that whatever value I issue, I get the same logged "Insufficient threads: max=30 < needed(acceptors=10 + selectors=20 + request=1)" which I had assumed I would see a change. At this point I have kind of reached my end of ideas and would really appreciate any help.
Sam252

Re: zmmailboxdctl fails - Insufficient threads

Post by Sam252 »

Running either zmprov mcf zimbraLmtpNumThreads 50 or zmprov ms `zmhostname` zimbraLmtpNumThreads 50 fails, but zmlocalconfig -e zimbraLmtpNumThreads=50 does not throw an error, and zmlocalconfig shows "zimbraLmtpNumThreads = 50"

However no matter what I put, zmmailboxdctl fails. I saw on another search that zmlocalconfig should not be used, and instead use zmprov. However zmprov fails out.