Zimbra 9 Installation on Ubuntu 20.04 of Azure VM

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
lucifer

Zimbra 9 Installation on Ubuntu 20.04 of Azure VM

Post by lucifer »

Dear All,

I installed Zimbra 9 on Azure VM with a domain registered on App Service Domain. After installation, on the dashboard, "Some services are not running". Yes, logger (zmlogswatchctl) and snmp (zmswatch) are not running. So, I query some topics and need to create a file. So, I try to create "sudo touch /var/log/zimbra-stats.log" need zimbra password. I typed the password when I created in installation. Not success! So, what is the password for that? So, my question is
1. What is password for zimbra to create file and change permission that file? Not password that I installed?
2. How to solve logger and snmp faild?
Thank you so much.
z-logger.PNG
z-logger.PNG (14.69 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Re: Zimbra 9 Installation on Ubuntu 20.04 of Azure VM

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Zimbra relies heavily on DNS, /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname. If these are not configured correctly you can have issues.

The Single-server installation guide (https://zimbra.github.io/zimbra-9/singl ... stall.html) mentions this, but doesn't give you specific steps for configuring and testing before you launch the installer.

Essentially, you need to make sure that there is a caching DNS server for Zimbra to use, and a resolver that does forward and reverse lookups using the Private IP address of the Zimbra server.

Hope that helps,
Mark
lucifer

Post by lucifer »

Hi L. Mark Stone,

Thank you so much for your response. Now, server is up and running. But, still the error. "Logger ..zmlogswatchctl is not running", "snmp ... zmswatch is not running". And I receive mail well from gmail. But, I can't send mail to gmail. For logger issue, I query some question in forum, so I follow some solution. There is need to change permission for file. In that, require password for Zimbra. What is the password for zimbra? I tried the password when I installed. Not success!
Last edited by lucifer on Tue May 10, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Glad you are making progress!

The zimbra Linux user account has no password. You should never be asked for the Linux account password for the zimbra user.

As re the logger service, did you follow the commands in the Installation Guide to perform the required initialization steps, including editing of /etc/rsyslog.conf?

As re zmswatch, first step is always to go to the relevant log file and see what information is in the log file, in this case ~/log/zmswatch.out

Hope that helps,
Mark