instant messaging in zimbra 8

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
wissem

Post by wissem »

Hello,
how i can activate instant messaging in zimbra 8 ?
"zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE" can not activate IM (work only with zimbra 7).
maybe Instant Messaging was removed ? if yes , there is another solution for add Instant Messaging?
Thanks,
Cordially,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="wissem"]how i can activate instant messaging in zimbra 8 ?[/QUOTE]You can't.
[quote user="wissem"]"zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE" can not activate IM (work only with zimbra 7).[/QUOTE]That's correct.
[quote user="wissem"]maybe Instant Messaging was removed ?[/QUOTE]Yes, it was.
[quote user="wissem"] if yes , there is another solution for add Instant Messaging?[/QUOTE]Install another IM server.
Did you read the Release Notes (in detail? This is mentioned in there and it's been mentioned for several release that it's going to be removed and it's also been discussed in the forums for at least the past year.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Tripple
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Tripple »

I did read the release notes and I'm confused more then ever.
Group calendar software, document sharing, address book sharing: New Features from Zimbra

quote:

Presence and click to chat from hover over contact card of any address
So there must be a chat option? Right?
Another one:

Announcing The General Availability of Zimbra 8 :: Zimbra :: Blog

quote:

... and chat all from within the Zimbra Web app.
So can I chat or not with Zimbra 8?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Tripple"]I did read the release notes and I'm confused more then ever.
Group calendar software, document sharing, address book sharing: New Features from Zimbra

quote:

Presence and click to chat from hover over contact card of any address
So there must be a chat option? Right?
Another one:

Announcing The General Availability of Zimbra 8 :: Zimbra :: Blog

quote:

... and chat all from within the Zimbra Web app.
So can I chat or not with Zimbra 8?[/QUOTE]Your question and the quotes has nothing to do with the original question in this thread. There is no Instant Messenger in ZCS 8, as I mentioned above, this was announced in previous version Release Notes and is clearly stated in the current ZCS Release Notes (P17):
[QUOTE]Zimbra Instant Messaging (IM) capabilities is removed[/QUOTE]What you're quoting (the "click to chat") relates to the new Unified Communication (UC) feature. Also the feature is called "Click-To-Call" and is mentioned on P3 of the Release Notes and the quotes you've given are from the "Integrated Unified Communications" section of the ZCS 8 feature descriptions. There is no IM chat feature in ZCS 8.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
wissem

Post by wissem »

thanks for your replies .

but why IM was removed ?

it is very useful functionality
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="wissem"]it is very useful functionality[/QUOTE]It was unstable, caused problems and was only ever beta quality the Zimbra development resources were probably better spent on a more suitable solution to Unified Communications. You will probably find that there will be an interface to an external IM server in ZCS 9, keep an eye on the product portal and bugzilla for any relevant features.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Tripple
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Tripple »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]You will probably find that there will be an interface to an external IM server in ZCS 9, keep an eye on the product portal and bugzilla for any relevant features.[/QUOTE]
Great :)
LowPass

Post by LowPass »

Hello Wissem,
I find me in a very similar situation, as I have customers which are using the IM feature.

After a bit of Googling I found out that there are third-party solution under development to add the IM feature to Zimbra 8 (ZxChat by ZeXtras, I don't know if it's ok to post external links so I won't), they say it's going to be released soon but there is no ETA. Looks promising, let's hope the promises are well kept.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

There's no reason for you not to post external links if it's in relation to the topic being discussed.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
LowPass

Post by LowPass »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]There's no reason for you not to post external links if it's in relation to the topic being discussed.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the clarification!
The only info I found is at ZxChat - ZeXtras Suite Wiki, just a preview screenshot and some basic description...