[SOLVED] running a version 4.5.6 or prior? Prevent Large Log File

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
DouweQuerty

Post by DouweQuerty »

Hi,
I am currently running zimbra (4.5.6) in unbuntu chroot on a gentoo server. But was really angry with zimbra today thus I decided to upgrade.

What happened was that when I logged in today I received weird errors while sending email ... It turns out that zimbra has completely used up all free space. After looking in vain for a tool to tell zimbra to clean up I decided to remove some files from the /tmp map. Which maked zimbra work normal again ... (besides the clamav atm).

But I was not amused by the fact that 3 users with each less than 1 Mb of inbox could use over 10 Gb on my disk (luckily it had its own partition).
Therefor I want to make a fresh start : Format the disk ... redebootstrap unbuntu ... install zimbra 5.0 RC 1 ... and then load the config / user data / mails etc from my old zimbra install. The question is how can this be done ? Can I dump the ldap from 4.5.6 and load it into 5.0 release (not recommended I think) ? Or do I need to dump ldap data clean install the latest 4.5 version load ldap data and then upgrade to 5.0 ? And how do I get the rest (mail / calander / contacts ) of the data out ? A full backup is running now (I love snapshot backup feature of lvm2 :D) so I can play around in the weekend ... But wouls like some pointers
DQ
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

I love your signature :)
So, your best bet is IMAPsync. Calendars and contacts can be exported to ical, then uploaded via the REST interface.
More information here:

User Migration - ZimbraWiki
Also, my advice would be to use an actual Ubuntu install. There's debate about chroot. So, if your comfortable with unexpected situations, then chroot is fine. But, if you want to install the server and have it just work, try a supported config.
dwmtractor
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dwmtractor »

With all due respect to John :D I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest what might be an easier fix. The reason you ran out of disk space is probably due to the fact that a bug in Zimbra 4.5.6 (maybe other releases) but fixed in 4.5.7 had super-duper-verbose logging going on, resulting in a couple of log files (I know one was /opt/zimbra/log/zmmtaconfig.log) that grew about half the size of Manhattan in no time flat.
You might try just reinstalling 4.5.6, and just deleting zmmtaconfig.log from your backup before reinstalling it. Then you can upgrade on top of that (now working) install--presuming, of course, that with the freed-up disk space it IS working.
But while you're at it on a new install, you might want to consider making more than 10GB of disk space available. That seems a tad tight to me, particularly no more costly than hard drives are anymore.
Cheers,
Dan
fernandoflorez
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fernandoflorez »

Well... just checked that log file and yes. It's 5 Gb!
I'm removing it...
fernandoflorez
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fernandoflorez »

It would be a good idea to place this detail as a sticky thread btw.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Sticking/Changing title
I'm wrong all the time. I'm used to it ;)
Good job guys!
AFAIK, this only exists in 456
john
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

For those on 4.5.6:

[quote user="mmorse"]you could temporarily edit /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtaconfig and change the default loglevel (on line 55ish) to something lower -change it from 5 to 3
This will be in 4.5.7:

Bug 18445 - zmmtaconfig default loglevel is set to high[/quote]
alexc1103

Post by alexc1103 »

Thanks for the tips with the zmmtaconfig.log, mine was 6.1G and making the nightly backup take forever! Backup times are down now and the zimbra directory down from 9.1G to 3G :)
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Do get on 4.5.10 if you haven't already as well :)

And this should be in the next 5.0 build: Bug 10398 - clean up logging for swatch, zmmtaconfig
fajarpri
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fajarpri »

Hi,

I haven't got the right time to upgrade my 4.5.6.

Is it ok to

cp /dev/null zmmtaconfig.log

as a temporary solution?

Thank you.