installing Zimbra on HPUX 9i OS

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
irkhamov

Post by irkhamov »

I have a box powered with PA-RISC processor running HPUX 9i and have Oracle 9i database running on it. For years, the box is idle and only used a day in a month, so I though it would be better if it was used as an MTA serving users on my local network which also connected to our headquarter on another city through VPN. Our headquarter have an Zimbra MTA running on Linux which serve all employee including us.

So, things I'd like to ask are :

1. Is it possible to install a version of Zimbra as an MTA on my obsolete HPUX machine

2. IF 1 is possible then how to make Zimbra MTA on HPUX collaborate with Zimbra on Linux located on headquarter ?
Sorry for language coz I'm newbie to MTA and Zimbra, and have no experience on this subject. Hopefully I can have a HPUX MTA running on machine.
Thank you in advance
Irkhamov
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="irkhamov"]1. Is it possible to install a version of Zimbra as an MTA on my obsolete HPUX machine[/QUOTE]No, I'm afraid it's not as ZCS is only built for the Linux distributions listed on the Downloads page.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
irkhamov

Post by irkhamov »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]No, I'm afraid it's not as ZCS is only built for the Linux distributions listed on the Downloads page.[/QUOTE]
Sad to hear that, but thanks phoenix.

As your expertise, is there any suggestion for me ? As I don't have any privilege to change OS, just manage and install on it. Hope to see any light to my need for a free MTA server on HPUX box.

Thank in advance
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

Check https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdep ... tegory=NSM as you should be able to install Apache, PHP, Postfix and IMAP, and then use Roundcube - open source webmail software as the front-end.
dijichi2
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dijichi2 »

[quote user="irkhamov"]I have a box powered with PA-RISC processor running HPUX 9i and have Oracle 9i database running on it. For years, the box is idle and only used a day in a month, so I though it would be better if it was used as an MTA serving users on my local network which also connected to our headquarter on another city through VPN. Our headquarter have an Zimbra MTA running on Linux which serve all employee including us.

So, things I'd like to ask are :

1. Is it possible to install a version of Zimbra as an MTA on my obsolete HPUX machine

2. IF 1 is possible then how to make Zimbra MTA on HPUX collaborate with Zimbra on Linux located on headquarter ?

[/QUOTE]
For 1., the MTA in Zimbra is essentially just your standard Postfix, albeit it configured to talk to ldap/lmtp etc, so there's no reason you can't just install Postfix and try and replicate the configuration closely to your HQ Zimbra MTA.
But if you mean the whole Zimbra suite, for 2., it would be a massive undertaking. Although Zimbra has been ported to both BSD and SVR4 style 'real' Unix OSs in the past, it's a significant undertaking and not one that would be recommended for an unfortunately dead OS like HPUX.
I'm not sure what benefit you'll get from 1., as your branch users will still have to connect through VPN directly to your HQ Zimbra instance for IMAP/POP/Exchange etc. It would be much more cost effective, in terms of manpower and ongoing maintenance, to just get a cheap Linux box to run a Zimbra instance connected to your HQ Zimbra instance - Zimbra has built in support for this kind of setup.
Hopefully you can find a good use for your HPUX box - great software/hardware from back when HP actually knew how to build enterprise class computers and support them, not the second-rate rubbish they churn out these days :(