apache and zimbra 8.05 on the same host possible?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
bill77se
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bill77se »

Hi guys,
I'm posting a stupid question and think that has been posted so many times:
Its there any possibility to bring again together apache 2 with zimbra 8.05?
By myself right now I'm using the only dedicated server which is a Dell Poweredge 2950, with Ubuntu 12.04. Before I use to have debian 5 installed in that server on 32 bits where work really good Apache and Zimbra.
If is there any solution please help me.

Best regards
shanxt

Post by shanxt »

Hello bill7se,
heh, I just answered a similar question yesterday.
Also, particularly in ZCS 8, port 80 is used by Zimbra for webmail and internal soap requests. (See this bug for more details.) Due to this apache won't be able to run on 80.
If you want, you could run it on another port that isn't being used by Zimbra, but performance issues would be a problem.
bill77se
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bill77se »

Ok I can understand that but in the main time why we have that possibility to change to
The">HTTPS?
The thing is like that if install the apache after the ZCS 8.0 or before isn't any possibility to log on to ZCS 8 administration UI, as I've read about your other answer, regarding the resources, as I see we need from time to time to upgrade the old machine to be performant.
Should be nice for us if we should have that opportunity to have both software in the same machine.
If any solution please help me
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="bill77se"]Ok I can understand that but in the main time why we have that possibility to change to For the simple reason that it's more secure.
[quote user="bill77se"]The thing is like that if install the apache after the ZCS 8.0 or before isn't any possibility to log on to ZCS 8 administration UI,[/QUOTE]That's not correct, the ZCS Admin UI uses port 7071 - why do you think a straightforward Apache install interferes with that.
[quote user="bill77se"]Should be nice for us if we should have that opportunity to have both software in the same machine.
If any solution please help me[/QUOTE]There is no fix for this 'problem', it has always been recommended to install nothing else on your Zimbra server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

[quote user="bill77se"]Hi guys,
I'm posting a stupid question and think that has been posted so many times:
Its there any possibility to bring again together apache 2 with zimbra 8.05?
By myself right now I'm using the only dedicated server which is a Dell Poweredge 2950, with Ubuntu 12.04. Before I use to have debian 5 installed in that server on 32 bits where work really good Apache and Zimbra.
If is there any solution please help me.

Best regards[/QUOTE]
Everything Bill said! Plus:
In our experience, the most broken Zimbra servers have been the ones overseen by the most experienced Linux sysadmins who, quite understandably, saw no reason why a fine Linux machine couldn't host other things aside from Zimbra.
We have been using Zimbra since 2006 and have seen a lot of Zimbra servers in that time. The advice we always give anyone who has or is thinking about Zimbra is that you should consider Zimbra to be a black-box appliance for which you get to choose the operating system (albeit from a limited menu of choices). Do not think of it as a Linux server where you can use the Zimbra-provided MySQL, Postfix, and other components for your own application. The "secret sauce" to Zimbra at the operating system level is all the Zimbra scripts and cron jobs which expect to have full run of a server configured in particular ways. This isn't self-centered coding; Zimbra has always been very clear that their software requires a dedicated server - no different than many Windows apps with an MSSQL backend which prohibit you from using "their" MSSQL instance for other tasks.
You are of course free to disagree with this design philosophy; certainly if you look back here in the forums you will find some posters who are offended by it. And the source code is open source so you are free to do with it what you wish within the confines of the licensing.
But with hardware so powerful and so inexpensive these days along with virtualization so ubiquitous and reliable, IMHO the business arguments for being able to run other applications on a Zimbra server instance have less practical weight than they did even a few short years ago.
Hope that helps,

Mark
bill77se
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bill77se »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]For the simple reason that it's more secure.
That's not correct, the ZCS Admin UI uses port 7071 - why do you think a straightforward Apache install interferes with that.[/QUOTE]
That is correct, I've tried several time to understand where is the problem, after installation of the apache is doesn't matter how man try to access the Administration UI doesn't function anymore, it doesn't matter if man try to access through the ip address it doesn't respond anymore.
The strange thing is that the older version is working fine together with Apache MYSQL and so on.
[quote user="10330phoenix"]There is no fix for this 'problem', it has always been recommended to install nothing else on your Zimbra server.[/QUOTE]
Hope for the future you guys are going to find a fix for that, you are doing a great job and Zimbra is so fantastic to work with.
Thank you
ppearl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ppearl »

It does sound like you're probably hitting a port conflict likely due to https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=83356 (referenced earlier in this thread). If so, then ZCS probably won't start (and you can't get to the Admin UI on port 7071) as ZCS couldn't bind to the port that apache is probably already listening (port 80). If you can verify all this, then in theory you could work around that by setting zimbraMailPort to some other port than it's default port 80 (for example port 81).
However, given that this is likely the source of your problem and there seems to be confusion, this only reinforces the recommendations by Bill and Mark that you consider the ZCS host a "black box" and setup a second (virtual?) host to run your Apache httpd instance on.
bill77se
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bill77se »

[quote user="2422ppearl"]It does sound like you're probably hitting a port conflict likely due to https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=83356 (referenced earlier in this thread). If so, then ZCS probably won't start (and you can't get to the Admin UI on port 7071) as ZCS couldn't bind to the port that apache is probably already listening (port 80). If you can verify all this, then in theory you could work around that by setting zimbraMailPort to some other port than it's default port 80 (for example port 81).
However, given that this is likely the source of your problem and there seems to be confusion, this only reinforces the recommendations by Bill and Mark that you consider the ZCS host a "black box" and setup a second (virtual?) host to run your Apache httpd instance on.[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Seems that I haven't make me understood:
The scenario is like that:
Install Ubuntu 12.04, afterwards install all the programs needs for ZCS, install ZCS without any problem, there over go tu su - zimbra ---> zmtlsctl https ------> zmcontrol restart, now go on to access the administration UI https:// domainname.com:7071 until now everything is working perfect.
Now go on the installation of Apache and MYSQL installation is going perfect, after the installation checking the apache server and is working perfect bat no more access to the administration UI of ZCS I've try to access through the https://domainname.com:7071 or https://192.168.0.52:7071 none of those way working, check again zmtlsctl https ------> zmcontrol restart, still same problem.
That issue doesn't happened on the version ZCS 7, ZCS 7 is working smoothly with the apache but sorry as I understand more or less is EOL.
If you PPEARL have a solution to led me to solve out that issue should be great.
Thank you
dijichi2
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dijichi2 »

It is very much possible to install Apache (or mysql, postfix or pretty much any other component that Zimbra also uses) on the same server. Zimbra is actually very good at keeping out of the way of the OS-provided software - it is almost entirely self contained in /opt/zimbra and provides and relies on it's own libraries and suite of compiled components. I've run Zimbra for many years on shared servers, alongside other OS-provided software components like Apache, LDAP, Samba etc.
If you're familiar with running Zimbra you can 'clamp' Zimbra to a single IP address so that it doesn't conflict with other software like Apache and will start up cleanly - you can for example then use a reverse proxy vhost to present the zimbra web interface to the outside, should that be useful for whatever reason. If you delve down deep enough, you can move pretty much any of the Zimbra ports to non-standard ports so they don't conflict.
However, with the falling costs of servers, improvements in configuration management (and subsequent decrease in administrative overheads), and particularly with the advent of efficient and stable virtualisation, you are much better off following the advice in this thread and consider Zimbra a black box. I now run all of my Zimbra instances inside dedicated VMs, and do not allow anything else to run on the server. This is purely for ease of administration/maintenance, as Zimbra is then an awful lot easier to work with.
dijichi2
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dijichi2 »

ps - I've just noticed that the admin interface even has the ability to clamp the web interface to a single IP address, where I presume it won't conflict with a non-zimbra Apache instance. Configure->Servers->->IP Adress Bindings. I assume this is now persistent - it used to be that you had to hack the jetty config xml by hand every time Zimbra was updated..