Can Zimbra be an SMTP server? POP, IMAP, Spam controls, etc.

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

I've been looking at Zimbra on and off over the years but cannot confirm if it could be used as a stand alone SMTP server?
For many years, I've been using traditional linux SMTP servers for multi-domain hosting but when I came across this, I thought how interesting would it be to change out the SMTP server for something with so much more to offer. I know of a number of customers who have looked at zimbra also.
I would need all of the usual SMTP functions, POP, POPS, IMAP, IMAPS, webmail and full spam control by it's users.
Anyhow, would love some input, thanks.
PS: Yes, I read the community documentation, the features list, etc etc. So please, don't respond in an unwelcoming way asking me if I searched, I have and now it's time to ask the community for some input which I will most definitely appreciate. Sarcasm, I don't appreciate. (this obviously to the person who responded then deleted their response).
Mike
magnus.moren
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by magnus.moren »

Yes, Zimbra can do all the things you requested. Zimbra is a complete mail suite suitable for everything from small to enterprise mail needs.
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

[quote]Yes, Zimbra can do all the things you requested. Zimbra is a complete mail suite suitable for everything from small to enterprise mail needs.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't completely clear and I figured I might as well ask before spending the time. Thanks for confirming this. I'll install it and give it a try.
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

I decided to install and try it with a couple of domains, I notice that it receives an awful lot of spam.

I know that there are spam controls and I've read a number of articles and documents showing examples, ideas, possible solutions, etc etc. However, it is said that none survive zimbra upgrades and are not supported.
Before I tackle any one of them however, I wonder if anyone could chime in with some current info on how people might be handling spam.
I've been running an ASSP spam server for years but my hope with zimbra was to find something fully integrated into one server, where users could better control their own spam destiny. I would prefer beefing up spam controls on zimbra itself instead of having to maintain an external server which is one thing I was hoping to get rid of.
I do see a few things on the server itself which I can turn on but was wondering what else might be out there. Any input would be very welcome and appreciated.
Mike
PS: I edited my posted to reflect that I've actually looked at, played with and known about zimbra for quite some time. Just never used it but do know of a number of customers who did consider it.
Matuscak

Post by Matuscak »

Zimbra has the typical anti-spam stuff rolled up in it, but it really doesn't seem that fleshed out. When we tried it, it seemed to let more stuff through that we liked and some of the controls like whitelisting was not particularly easy. For the main system we use, we ended up with a anti spam appliance called SpamTitan in front of Zimbra and we've been pretty happy with it overall.
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

[quote user="Matuscak"]Zimbra has the typical anti-spam stuff rolled up in it, but it really doesn't seem that fleshed out. When we tried it, it seemed to let more stuff through that we liked and some of the controls like whitelisting was not particularly easy. For the main system we use, we ended up with a anti spam appliance called SpamTitan in front of Zimbra and we've been pretty happy with it overall.[/QUOTE]
Agree 100%
ccelis
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

Thanks for the input.
The reason I started looking at it again was twofold. I always like having new products to suggest to customers and I also like moving to new products myself once in a while to start learning something new.
From what I can see, spam control is somewhat of an afterthought with very limited basic configuration options. That means I would have to run a spam server in front of it which is exactly what I was looking to get rid of by trying something new.