HTTPS Is Working, HTTP Not Working

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
elguapo

Post by elguapo »

I think uh-nu-bu is trying to point out that it's the client side that is slow. Does Zimbra employ any caching schemes (like Google Maps)?
Perhaps their is a client related thread that discusses these issues?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="elguapo"]I think uh-nu-bu is trying to point out that it's the client side that is slow. Does Zimbra employ any caching schemes (like Google Maps)?
Perhaps their is a client related thread that discusses these issues?[/QUOTE]
We do some caching. The next release may be a little better. We've got some good ideas on how to improve even more and you'll see that work show up in future releases.
uh-nu-bu

Post by uh-nu-bu »

Thanks Elguapo. That is indeed what I was saying. I see the same things in Google Maps as I do with Zimbra, so I don't think it is a Zimbra thing. I think, compared to a fat client like Outlook, an AJAX client is just going to be a bit slower--especially when using imap instead of mapi.
I do think it will scale better--an equivalent Zimbra system seems like it would be slower in general (even on my jacked up pc it seems about 10-20% slower than Outlook), but stay the same speed under twice the load (on the server) that would start showing drastic speed issues on an Outlook/Exchange setup. Plus, it should not have any of the problems Exchange setups exhibit--file system corruption, logging commit problems, fragmented database, message store size limits, croaking on large attachments, etc. ad nauseum. Don't get me wrong--Exchange+Outlook rocks for small to medium setups as a groupware solution. Expensive, but very nice. Zimbra, however, has the possibility to easily surpass it in features and #users per setup.
Zimbra looks like it will scale better horizontally too. Adding another server to a Zimbra "cluster" looks easy and would allow another 1-3,000 users pronto.