m2 open source installation does not include servers

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
mcgaffin

Post by mcgaffin »

Hello,
I just downloaded and attempted to install the open source version of m2 on Ubuntu. I had already installed M1 and that went pretty smoothly.
Unfortunately, it seems that the M2 source download does not include any of the servers. A quick comparison of the M1 and M2 downloads shows that indeed M1 is 150MB while M2 is 26MB. Consequently, installation is very tedious and time-consuming. In fact, I just gave up after spending more time than I had trying to find the right versions of the various servers required.
Were the servers left out of the m2 source download intentionally or is this a build error? I appreciate the work you've done with Zimbra, but I'm hoping that the installation can get a bit easier.
Thanks,
david
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

It was intentional - we decided to leave the 3rdparty builds (postfix, tomcat, java, cyrus-sasl, etc) out for several reasons (most coming from the forums!)
The download size was unwieldy - 150 Megs was far too large for a source download, especially since most of it was stuff that wouldn't work for the downloader (unless they were on FC3/RHEL4) - they would have just had to rebuild it.
The installation from source is not easy - there are a lot of moving parts in ZCS (which is why it does so many things) - for ease of install, we focussed on the binary download, which packages everything together.
mcgaffin

Post by mcgaffin »

Fair enough. The download size didn't bother me, but I understand your position. Having the 3rd party source packages did make installation much easier, for me at least.
regards,
david
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Can you tell me what the install problems were, from the source distro? Was it just the acquisition of the specific versions, or build problems, or???
We'd like to make the source install easier, if possible (it'll never be as simple as the binary, but if you gave up on it, it's too complex...)
One thing we're looking at is a better way to be flexible about versions of supporting software, so that the downloads are easier to find.
mcgaffin

Post by mcgaffin »

OKAY, THIS IS JUST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD:

SINCE I RUN UBUNTU, WHEN I RAN 'MAKE DEV-INSTALL', IT FAILED IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE ZIMBRABUILD/RPMCONF/BUILD/GET_PLAT_TAG.SH DIDN'T RECOGNIZE UBUNTU AND RETURNED UNKNOWN. BECAUSE THERE IS NO UNKNOWN.DEF IN ZIMBRABUILD/DEFS, I WAS STOPPED THERE. SO I FORCED GET_PLAT_TAG.SH TO RETURN DEBIAN3.1 AND STARTED THE INSTALL.

I HAD THE PROBLEM OF DOWNLOADING 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE OR COPYING VERSIONS FROM THE M1 TARBALL, IN CASES WHERE M2 WANTED THE SAME 3RD PARTY RELEASES AS M1.

IN SOME CASES, AFTER BUILDING A PACKAGE COMPLETED, THE INSTALLATION OF THE PACKAGE INSTALLED BECAUSE THERE WERE NO DIRECTORIES LIKE /OPT/ZIMBRA/OPENLDAP-2.2.28/VAR OR THE LIKE. THIS WAS, OF COURSE, EASY TO FIX.

THIS COMMAND IN THE ZIMBRAMON BUILD:

CP -F /OPT/ZCS.NEW/ZIMBRABUILD/RPMCONF/ENV/CRONTAB /OPT/ZIMBRA/ZIMBRAMON/CRONTAB RESULTED IN CP: CANNOT STAT `/OPT/ZCS.NEW/ZIMBRABUILD/RPMCONF/ENV/CRONTAB': NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY

AND THAT'S WHERE I RAN OUT OF TIME FOR THE DAY.
I'LL PROBABLY FORGE AHEAD LATER TODAY TO SEE IF I CAN FINISH THE BUILD. I'M CURIOUS ABOUT THE CHANGES SINCE M1.
REGARDS,

DAVID
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

The crontab problem was a bug - I'll fix it in the code.
The crontabs are now in several files, depending on what you're installing - I'll have the build cat them together.