Cannot start installation

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
6146papaja

Post by 6146papaja »

Hi,

I'm completely new to linux (sorry for troubling you)!
I installed Fedora Core 4.0 with gnome. I downloaded zcs (free version) onto my windows machine. Burnt it to cd. Extracted it on my Desktop of linux machine and double clicked on install.sh and... nothing happened.
What to do? Since I'm new to linux I wanted to have GUI, is it a problem?
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by andreychek »

[quote user="6146papaja"]Hi,

I'm completely new to linux (sorry for troubling you)!
I installed Fedora Core 4.0 with gnome. I downloaded zcs (free version) onto my windows machine. Burnt it to cd. Extracted it on my Desktop of linux machine and double clicked on install.sh and... nothing happened.
What to do? Since I'm new to linux I wanted to have GUI, is it a problem?[/QUOTE]

Hey papaja,
Welcome to the Linux world :-)
Yeah, your GUI may actually be hindering you a bit, the installer is text based, and asks a few questions... the GUI may not understand how to show that information.
You're pretty close at this point -- what I'd really recommend, now that you have the Zimbra contents on your system, is to open up a terminal (command line), 'cd' into the 'zcs' directory, and just type './install.sh'. After that, you just have to answer a handful of questions, it's pretty easy.
After that, you should be in good shape.
Good luck,

-Eric
goetzi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by goetzi »

Just want to add something:
ZCS is working best on a minimum text-based Linux install.
When I started with Zimbra, I also was new to Linux. Me as Windows user wasn't used to working just on the command line. But you don't need much commands for getting ZCS to work. The only error I made was that I used the Zimbra server as productive server from beginning (I did many re-installs).
agnOstos
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by agnOstos »

You'll need to install zcs as root also