Clues to OsX Daily Crashes:

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
s3nz3x

Post by s3nz3x »

I'm running zimbra on OsX, and really like it.

But I've a Daily crash occuring.

to make zimbra work I did trick the symlink of CurrentJDK to point to 1.5.0 to get java1.5 up and running, and wrote a little StartupItems.

I wasn't really sure if the Java trick and 'my' Statrup Items was faulty or if it was the zimbraServer itself that had a bug (I'm sorry but I did think of it).

Well after digging in the logs I think I finally found the faulty stuff, and IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF ZIMBRA, which is a very good news (I did'nt really think it was the faulty anyway.)
I finally found this trouble entry in the log matching the hanging time:

NetInfo connection failed for server 127.0.0.1.
It seems, there is a bug in OsX (at least tiger) with lookupd, that cause the system to hang, wich is excatly what occurs for me.

I found the clue over here:

which">http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:4yz ... 27.0&hl=en
which points to here:

The">http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 3041404296
The system I'm using to test Zimbra is A G4mirrordrive biproc 2x1,25Ghz and with 1,25 GB of RAM, which is quite correct, I would say.

By reading the above thread in OsXhints, well It seems it only happens with bi-proc and "man-made" ipfw rules[quote]if you are using a hand-made IPFW ruleset, you might want to check that you are not using keep-state rules on dual processor Mac. There is a nasty bug in the kernel/IPFW implementation that will make your machine freeze with that setting. (bug #4112652 on Apple's bugreport, flaged as closed, should be fixed in 10.4.3)[/quote] which is effectivly what I've done also because I turn firewall on and edited rules for each ports zimbra usesÂ… (And would say that obviously 10.4.3 did NOT solve thisÂ…)
Some suggested that it could be a DNS issue, but I really don't think it my case (I could be wrong but DNS lookup are all working fine on all my Boxes either Mac, Vindoze, or Linux(IPCOP). SO I think (hope) I found the culprit and here I post to share. ANYone testing zimbra with bi-processor could please tell if they have the issue, or anyone with single proc could tell if they Have NOT the issue.
Also here:

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:an1 ... 27.0&hl=en

it is said:

[quote]

""DirectoryService: NetInfo connection failed for server 127.0.0.1/local."
"The solution was to restore the Netinfo database."
NO. the solution is to turn off "Net Info" in the Directory Access program located within /Applications/Utilities folder.

If you are trying to athunticate to a non-existing netinfo daemon in your domain, your going to get problems.
Turning off that option relieves the problems hinted at in this link. Please sirs, try this instead of blowing away your net info database, When I first got my powerbook 12" I had this same problem. I realized later on that I clicked "Net Info" in the Directory Access program, and it was trying to auth to a non-existant server." [/quote] So I'm also going to Directory Access and turn off netinfo, to see if it helps.

AS for sure destroying Netinfo db isn't what I'm thinking ofÂ…

So to resume it seems I'm additionning the chance to hang my system as I Have :

-A bi-processor

-"man made" ipfw rules

- Netinfo checked in directory Access.
So i would have to test each one separatly like :

Test#1:

Turning off firewall ? (I'm not on Internet so no pb for testing this)

Test#2:

-Use Only ONE processor with the firewall ON

Test#3

-Turn OFF Netinfo in Directory Access

Test#4:

All of this.
! AS I've installed Apple Dev tools, I can Force to use only I processor instead of 2.

It's been some time (and nightly hours spent) to solve this, so I'm going to Test#4 first and see if this solves the pb, and see if tomorrow morning the system is still up and running or hanged up again.
For sure I'll let zimbracommunity know, here on the forums.
Suddenly I'm thinking to pray :-)Â… just kidding.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Great investigation - thanks for finding that (and thanks for exonerating us :) ).
We'll FAQ this up, but I don't think we'll be able to manage around this bug in the zcs system - but we'll definitely doc it for our Mac using friends.
s3nz3x

Post by s3nz3x »

thank you marc,
Update : I didn't have Netinfo Checked in DIRECTORYACCESS, so I think we can say It is NOT the "DirectoryAccess - Netinfo" stuff.
I did deactive One proc and turned the Firewall to OFF.

(but even so the rules are still there, even if not used, so I don't know yet if it will do the trick.)
I'll see tomorrow morning and if it's a go well fine, if not I'm going to test in order each 'solution' (turn firewall off with 2 proc - then with 1 proc, etcÂ…)

I'll post as soon as I've got some other thingsÂ…

wait and see.
I also do have an 'old' G4 500Mhz monoproc, someone gave me (yeah cool) So I'm going gto test zimbra on it, & see If the pb is duplicated or not and so I'll know for sure.

The fact is that it is for the same person (is office) that I'm trying to get zimbra, so at least I can testdrive on his computerÂ…;) wich would make me orphan of One G4, sniff (my personnal serverÂ… may just go back on my 9600)
s3nz3x

Post by s3nz3x »

here is the result: No crash during the night. the server is up & running.

So I'm going to dig a little more, and reactivate the firewall and still keep Only One processor. Let you know by the end of the day or tomorrow.
there is a damn bug here is OsX ! I just can't believe I can't use my 2 processors ! It's weird because this pb never came up until I use zimbra ??!! Maybe deactivating antivirus definition checkin could twick, and I'll try this later on.