Getting smtp working with my ISP

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Not sure if you can use per-user auth - you can use per-site auth (see postconf(5) man page) but I don't know if you can have it switch sites based on the user
Cpoc

Post by Cpoc »

Ok thanks I'll look into that for the auth and certificate. I'll do some more googling and readup on the man pages. How about multiple smtp accounts for pstfix.
How should fetchmail be setup per user or just one fetchmailrc file in root. I read that using fetchmailrc in root in not ideal for security and all. What do you think is the best approach.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

This is fetchmail to feed mail from other accounts into the zimbra system?
If I were doing this, I'd set up a shell script that read a config file, containing tuples like:

zimbrauser:remoteserver:remoteuser:pass
THen I'd loop through it, and create a temp fetchmailrc file for each remoteuser/remoteserver pair, and fetch the mail down and feed it it.
Cpoc

Post by Cpoc »

Huh ????
In English please. My linux skills are still new but I am learning. I have no idea what you meant by your post above.
Right now I have one fetchmailrc file in root but I'm only fetching my sympatico/hotmail account and one gmail account but I plan on adding more.
I would not even know what to write in the script or even how to do it.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

I would suggest two books - a copy of "Programming Perl" from O'Reilly (everyone should own this book) and any decent book on shell programming (to know if a book is good, look at the index - if it's really sparse, the book probably sucks.)
For starters, you can create separate fetchmailrc files - but in the long run, it's probably easier just to keep track of accounts, and create the files in a script.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Cpoc"]Huh ????
In English please. My linux skills are still new but I am learning. I have no idea what you meant by your post above.
Right now I have one fetchmailrc file in root but I'm only fetching my sympatico/hotmail account and one gmail account but I plan on adding more.
I would not even know what to write in the script or even how to do it.[/QUOTE]

You could always install webin (from http://www.webmin.com), it has a really simple interface for creating fetchmail scripts to get single or multiple mailboxes on your ISP (and even for single or multiple users). It's real doddle to set-up, I'm also new to linux and I managed it. :D
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Cpoc

Post by Cpoc »

For now I'll go with webmin I have used it before and it does have lots of add in modules. As for the programming part my skill level is not here yet. One day I hope I can write scripts in perl and bash to get jobs done.
I'll try the webmin and let you know how that turns out. I know there are RPM's in CentOs-RHEL4 so it should be very easy to install.