[SOLVED] Update from 8.0.0_GA to 8.7.x fails with LDAP errors

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Txalamar

[SOLVED] Update from 8.0.0_GA to 8.7.x fails with LDAP errors

Post by Txalamar »

Hi,

after resolving some certificate errors with LDAP service I'm getting the following error during upgrade process:

Code: Select all

Sat Mar  4 13:28:35 2017 Starting ldap...
Sat Mar  4 13:28:35 2017 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/ldap start
Failed to start slapd.  Attempting debug start to determine error.
58bab319 backend_startup_one (type=mdb, suffix=""): bi_db_open failed! (80)

Sat Mar  4 13:29:14 2017 failed with exit code: 256.
Sat Mar  4 13:30:51 2017 UPGRADE FAILED - exiting.
so I executed:

/opt/zimbra/openldap-2.4.33.4z/sbin/slapindex -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config entryDN
as stated in:
viewtopic.php?t=13551

After that I rerun the upgrade and I get:

[] FATAL: failed to initialize LDAP client
com.zimbra.cs.ldap.LdapException: LDAP error: : An error occurred while attempting to connect to server xxx.xxx.xxx:389:  java.io.IOException: An error occurred while attempting to establish a connection to server xxx.xxx.xxx:389:  java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
ExceptionId:main:1488632348999:4ca653bd2aab364a
Code:ldap.LDAP_ERROR
        at com.zimbra.cs.ldap.LdapException.LDAP_ERROR(LdapException.java:90)

Before this error I can find some others in the installation log file (both are attached, 1st and 2nd installation run):

ERROR: account.INVALID_ATTR_VALUE (invalid attr value: invalid attr value - unable to modify attributes: ldap host=xxx.xxx.xxx:389: attribute 'zimbraDeviceLockWhenInactive' cannot have multiple values) (cause: com.zimbra.cs.ldap.LdapException$LdapInvalidAttrValueException invalid attr value - unable to modify attributes: ldap host=xxx.xxx.xxx:389: attribute 'zimbraDeviceLockWhenInactive' cannot have multiple values)
Sat Mar  4 13:58:57 2017 Updating from 8.0.6_GA
Sat Mar  4 13:58:59 2017 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov -r -m -l -- mcf +zimbraStatThreadNamePrefix qtp
ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to refresh entry) (cause: com.zimbra.cs.ldap.LdapException LDAP error:  - unable to get attributes: ldap host=xxx.xxx.xxx:389: An error occurred while attempting to connect to server xxx.xxx.xxx:389:  java.io.IOException: An error occurred while attempting to establish a connection to server xxx.xxx.xxx:389:  java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused)

If I run a third time the update process it ends with no errors but there is obviously a problem because some services do not start, mainly mailboxd.

If someone can point me out to the root cause of that problem I would appreciate that a lot. I've been trying to perform this upgrade with no luck since time ago...

Thanks for your time!

Best, Pau.
Txalamar

Re: Update from 8.0.0_GA to 8.7.x fails with LDAP errors

Post by Txalamar »

Hi,

I got it. Just upgraded from 8.0.0 to 8.0.9, then to 8.5.1 and finally to 8.7.3.

No errors during the upgrade process and no errors starting services.

Looks fine!
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Re: [SOLVED] Update from 8.0.0_GA to 8.7.x fails with LDAP errors

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi,
That's a good path for sure, from 8.0.0 sounds like a real big step, also we require at least 8.0.3 or above, as we made some changes in the ldap in that version, so jump to 8.0.9 and then from there to 8.5 or 8.6 and then 8.7 sounds great.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/