Since Upgrading To Zimbra 8.8.5, Have Been Getting Numerous Lock Errors

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
rodrigo

Re: Since Upgrading To Zimbra 8.8.5, Have Been Getting Numerous Lock Errors

Post by rodrigo »

The saddest thing of all is that, the forum is practically dead! very little help from the developers! I have some problems with the services too, but they are minor, even so! I think these versions should have matured even more. Zimbra version 8.6.0 almost never gave me problems. Well, this is my humble opinion! I hope you can solve your problem, I never had that problem before. Greetings.

Rodrigo.
moebius

Post by moebius »

bgszim wrote:Bump?

What is the status of your lock issues. Have you solved your issues (maybe by upgrading to 8.8.6)?
Still happening for us in 8.8.6.. Perhaps once/day or once every other day.
brf
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.6_GA_1906.RHEL7_64 NE

Post by brf »

Upgraded from 8.7.11 to 8.8.6 and now having this problem. Mail server only works for about 24-36 hours before going berserk with this stuff. Have a support case open right now, but no solutions yet. Not sure how they aren't already on top of this massive problem, given it's been posted here for weeks.
justdave
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.9.GA.3019.UBUNTU16.64 FOSS

Post by justdave »

Been running into this, too, after upgrading from 8.6.x to 8.8.5. Happy to help debug if you tell me what to look for. I've got a small site with very few users so I can take it down on a whim to test stuff.
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

justdave wrote:Been running into this, too, after upgrading from 8.6.x to 8.8.5. Happy to help debug if you tell me what to look for. I've got a small site with very few users so I can take it down on a whim to test stuff.
sorry for going OT, but did your upgrade went smooth? I tried upgrading an 8.6 to 8.8 last week and it all went nuts!
brf
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.6_GA_1906.RHEL7_64 NE

Post by brf »

justdave wrote:Been running into this, too, after upgrading from 8.6.x to 8.8.5. Happy to help debug if you tell me what to look for. I've got a small site with very few users so I can take it down on a whim to test stuff.
Support told me that engineering is already working on it, and they didn't seem to need/want any information from me other than my zmdiaglog to confirm that this was the issue I was experiencing.

The official workaround for now is to restart your server frequently...
bsn9912

Post by bsn9912 »

We are experiencing the same Problem.
It happend with the Update from 8.7 to 8.8.6. Our workaround is to restart the mailboxd Server.
In the Logfiles we see tons of messages:
2018-01-24 15:19:24,485 ERROR [LmtpServer-180] [name=XXX;mid=14;ip=XXXX;] mailbox - Failed to lock mailbox
Write Lock Owner - MailboxPurge prio=5 id=132 state=RUNNABLE
at com.zimbra.cs.session.PendingModifications.recordDeleted(PendingModifications.java:278)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener$PagedFolderData.queueDelete(ImapListener.java:221)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener$PagedFolderData.handleItemDelete(ImapListener.java:261)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener.handleDelete(ImapListener.java:473)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener.notifyPendingChanges(ImapListener.java:650)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.commitCache(Mailbox.java:9904)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.endTransaction(Mailbox.java:9618)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.purgeMessages(Mailbox.java:9005)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.PurgeThread.run(PurgeThread.java:150)

com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailboxLock$LockFailedException: timeout
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailboxLock.lock(MailboxLock.java:211)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.beginTransaction(Mailbox.java:1759)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.beginReadTransaction(Mailbox.java:1735)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getItemById(Mailbox.java:2864)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getItemById(Mailbox.java:2856)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getFolderById(Mailbox.java:4105)
at com.zimbra.cs.filter.IncomingMessageHandler.getDefaultFolderPath(IncomingMessageHandler.java:91)
at com.zimbra.cs.filter.ZimbraMailAdapter.keep(ZimbraMailAdapter.java:527)
at com.zimbra.cs.filter.ZimbraMailAdapter.executeActionKeepInternal(ZimbraMailAdapter.java:360)
at com.zimbra.cs.filter.ZimbraMailAdapter.executeAllActions(ZimbraMailAdapter.java:295)
at com.zimbra.cs.filter.RuleManager.applyRulesToIncomingMessage(RuleManager.java:440)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.ZimbraLmtpBackend.deliverMessageToLocalMailboxes(ZimbraLmtpBackend.java:623)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.ZimbraLmtpBackend.deliver(ZimbraLmtpBackend.java:385)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.LmtpHandler.processMessageData(LmtpHandler.java:445)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.TcpLmtpHandler.continueDATA(TcpLmtpHandler.java:79)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.LmtpHandler.doDATA(LmtpHandler.java:434)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.LmtpHandler.processCommand(LmtpHandler.java:216)
at com.zimbra.cs.lmtpserver.TcpLmtpHandler.processCommand(TcpLmtpHandler.java:72)
at com.zimbra.cs.server.ProtocolHandler.processConnection(ProtocolHandler.java:189)
at com.zimbra.cs.server.ProtocolHandler.run(ProtocolHandler.java:128)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The only configuration change we made is to increase the number lmtp Threads since that causes issues as well as mail gut stuck in the delivery towards the mailbox.
We never had issues with this in the past. Its the first release were the threading behaviour obviously changed.
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

I've seen the internal ticket, and Engineering is working on a fix for it. I hope we can create a hotfix or patch for it, but as of now I don't have any more information. We will keep you updated as soon as we have more information.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
paul.lepage

Post by paul.lepage »

Thank goodness I looked at this forum as it looks like I've dodged a bullet! I was planning to upgrade from 8.7.11 to 8.8.6 this weekend but I think I'll wait until they get this sorted as rebooting a production server every day or two just to keep it running is not acceptable.

Can I ask if this problem affects both the open source and network edition?
bsn9912

Post by bsn9912 »

Is there any update on this or does anyone have a solution to this problem?
It is really hurting us right now.