Failed upgrade from 8.6UBUNTU14 to 8.8.5

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Failed upgrade from 8.6UBUNTU14 to 8.8.5

Post by maxxer »

Hi.
I tried the above upgrade tonight and miserably failed! :(

First I had an error saying packages could not be installed, to check install.log for errors:

Code: Select all

Can not remove packages. Check $LOGFILE for details.
Exiting - the system is unchanged
sadly it didn't report any error, just that package download was complete in download only mode (in Italian):

Scaricamento completato e in modalità solo scaricamento
So I found bug 107309, and managed to fix by running the installer with the C locale. Unfortunately, after this I ran into another much much bigger problem: package installation failed, system left in a broken state! The errors:

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/zimbra-osl_1.0.9-1zimbra8.7b1.14.04_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/opt/zimbra/docs/open_source_licenses.txt', which is also in package zimbra-core 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/zimbra-perl-mail-spamassassin_3.4.1-1zimbra8.7b2.14.04_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/opt/zimbra/data/spamassassin/localrules/v340.pre', which is also in package zimbra-mta 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64dpkg: 

error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/zimbra-spamassassin-rules_1.0.0-1zimbra8.7b1.14.04_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/opt/zimbra/data/spamassassin/rules/72_active.cf', which is also in package zimbra-mta 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64
comes from the old issue 106907 which seems to be fixed long time ago. According to this other thread it might happen if the dpkg database is corrupted, maybe by another failed install/upgrade. But from what I can see in the logs of the previous failed attempts the apt database were not touched, the error happened right after package download, so install didn't start yet.

Any idea on how to proceed with upgrade? I've now reverted back to a snapshot before upgrade, so the system is back at its 8.6 state.

thanks
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Re: Failed upgrade from 8.6UBUNTU14 to 8.8.5

Post by DualBoot »

Before each upgrade I flush the apt cache and run apt update.
After that I run the installer.
Maybe it could help.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

maxxer wrote:
DualBoot wrote:Before each upgrade I flush the apt cache and run apt update.
indeed the clean command could have helped, if there was a leftover package around. but anyway since the bug is apparently fixed, there should have been a more up to date version on the repository...
Are you sure the fix is in 8.8.5? FWIW, ZCS 8.8.6 is out today perhaps you could try that?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

DualBoot wrote:Before each upgrade I flush the apt cache and run apt update.
indeed the clean command could have helped, if there was a leftover package around. but anyway since the bug is apparently fixed, there should have been a more up to date version on the repository...
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

phoenix wrote:Are you sure the fix is in 8.8.5? FWIW, ZCS 8.8.6 is out today perhaps you could try that?
it has been included into 8.7.1 so should be in 8.8. I'll see from the changelog if there's anything relevant for 8.8.6 (which I missed for really one hour or so! sic!)
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

Just for the record I managed to do the upgrade...

I tried directly to 8.8.11 and failed the same way. By digging further in the logs and in the above bugreports I managed to find out that I had bacula installed, which required bsd-mailx which required an "mta" package, thus not allowing zimbra-mta to be removed.
The zimbra installer would leave zimbra-core and zimbra-mta installed while trying to add new packages, with the consequent faluire above.

I had to manually remove bacula, bsd-mailx and the two zimbra packages and then run the forced upgrade as described in the wiki.