WServer 2012r2 hyperv or vmware player

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Pepe

WServer 2012r2 hyperv or vmware player

Post by Pepe »

Hello, my problem is more a question for a production environment.
We have around 250+ users on our company, and decided to implement zimbra open source, for test i used vmware player but not sure if this works for production, so my boss have one server dell r730 with windows server 2012 r2 installed, and with that in mind he wants to put zimbra there.

1.- For my test i used centos 7 x64, i see a lot of people using ubuntu server for this purpose, the SO make any difference?
2.- Can i make HA with hyper-v with one partition for storage shared with both zimbra installations? I mean a cluster for HA.
3.- Will work with hyper-v or this is more recommended than vmware player?

Thank you, as always.
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Re: WServer 2012r2 hyperv or vmware player

Post by zimico »

Dear,
1. I personally prefer CentOS to Ubuntu. Just use one that you feel confortable and suitable. For example, if you already worked well with Centos, go ahead with it.
2. Yes, you can deploy HA with HyperV as well as VMware Vsphere. Please search for guide in Zimbra wiki and forums as well as follow recommendation for HA deployment from Vmware.
3. I personally prefer VMware Vsphere to HyperV. It also depend on your infrastructure environment. You need Vsphere and Vcenter in this case.

Regards,
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Hello zimico!
Yes, i feel more confortable with centos too.
I dont really undestand what do you mean by infrastructure, do you mean the server what on im installing?
Thank you!
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Post by zimico »

I dont really undestand what do you mean by infrastructure, do you mean the server what on im installing?
I means if you are using Hyper-V then go with it. There is no official recomendation for Vsphere/Hyper-V. However, I personally prefer VMware to Microsoft ;)

Regards,
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

I also want that but we are in trouble for licenses now, so thats why i ask about vmware player. I did my lab test with that tool including the HA for zimbra using cluster.
Some recommendations you could give me?
Oh... also, if its the same use ssd or ls-sas for storage. Is a dell md3400. ssd raid 5 and ls-sas is on raid 6
Thank you!