Upgrade 8.0.6 -> 8.8.9

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
wortmanb

Upgrade 8.0.6 -> 8.8.9

Post by wortmanb »

We need to upgrade our 8.0.6 instance to 8.8.9 and move it to a new VM. Both sides are running Centos; the older is 6.9 and the new is 7.5. I had planned to upgrade in-place first, but despite repeated attempts to follow the directions at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enabling_Z ... _memcached to try to set up proxy and memcached, when we'd restart our services, proxy and memcached simply wouldn't come up.

So I migrated our data to a new server which already had 8.8.9 on it, but it fails to upgrade (probably because it thinks it's upgrading 8.8.9 to 8.8.9 but then it finds 8.0.6 data):

Code: Select all

# ./install.sh
:
Downgrading to ZCS upgrade from 8.8.9 to 8.8.9 will be performed.
Validating ldap configuration
/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/x86_64-linux-thread-multi-auto/IO/IO.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Istack_sp_ptr
Unknown Error: It should be impossible to reach this statement.
#
So I now think we need to set up our new server on 8.0.6, migrate data, and upgrade from 8.0.6 to 8.8.9 there, or am I missing a simpler path? Is there an easy way to fix the error above? As suggested in another forum thread, I tried "# ./install.sh -s" but that didn't change anything, nor did "yum reinstall zimbra-perl-*"
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Upgrade 8.0.6 -> 8.8.9

Post by phoenix »

Yes, you should have the same version of ZCS on the new server when you tried to move it in your first instance. This has been covered many times in the forums, if you want an easy way to move your data to a new server then you should use the ZeXtras Migration Tool.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
wortmanb

Post by wortmanb »

Is there a way to "downgrade" the 8.8.9 we have on the new server so that we can install 8.0.6 there instead, without wiping out the VM and starting over?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

wortmanb wrote:Is there a way to "downgrade" the 8.8.9 we have on the new server so that we can install 8.0.6 there instead, without wiping out the VM and starting over?
No, you cannot and should never try to 'downgrade' any ZCS version. I've already told you the easiest method to move to a new server, use the ZeXtras tool. You just need to totally remove the current ZCS version, remove the ZCS directory the install a clean ZCS 8.8.9 the use the ZeXtras tool and voila, a new ZCS 8.8.9 with all your previous data and configurations. Read-up on the Migration Tool, it's fairly straightforward, just to make sure you know what's going to happen.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
wortmanb

Post by wortmanb »

I did read your first reply in detail. I understand it. But I'm not making myself clear and frustrating you in the process, so here's another attempt.

Our development network isn't internet-connected, so installing an extra tool is a non-starter. For the time I'd have to take to set up new repositories to host its code on our network and fake out the installer through DNS trickery, it's not worth the headache, especially when the Zimbra-approved method is documented as at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_mov ... her_server

I have two servers:

prod.my.net: Currently in operations. Zimbra 8.0, CentOS 6.9.

new.my.net: Not in ops. Zimbra 8.8.9, CentOS 7.5. Data rsync'd from prod.my.net but that data has not been referenced yet, as the services haven't started on this system yet.

Can I downgrade prod.my.net from 8.8.9 (which has never been set up or executed) to 8.0.6? I imagine just removing all the RPMs and reinstalling using the install.sh from 8.0 ought to do the trick (basically, what you suggested in your second reply above). If not, then we just need to wipe the VM and rebuild it before installing 8.0 on a clean OS. Then, re-rsync the data and perform the upgrade.

And yes, I do know that I'll need to take prod offline to do the rsync properly, and not have messages being written to prod that won't ever be part of new. And I'm sure the Zextras packages would take care of that, but again, mine isn't a typical installation.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

You do know that rsync method requires some adjustments, right? You can't just rsync the whole /opt/zimbra tree...

The zimbramon directory for example is OS-specific, so you'll need to keep the one on the new server from the new server. Further, LDAP should be dumped and restored, not copied over, else the 96GB sparse file on the source server will become a 96GB file on the new server.

Really, Bill's suggestion is best. You can keep your dev server's off the Internet with a one-way gateway, so the server's can reach out to get to the Zimbra repos, operating system updates etc.

Also, dnsmasq will solve your DNS issues when readying a replacement Zimbra server.

Hope that helps,
Mark