From 8.6 (patch 11) to 8.8.

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
rickst29
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8 OSE

From 8.6 (patch 11) to 8.8.

Post by rickst29 »

Two fast questions regarding an in-place upgrade from 8.6- patch 11 (single system running CentOS 6, just 5 email accounts, but "very important" shared calendars). I already have 'proxy' and 'memcached'.

(1) Should I use the migration tool in some way, or just run the installer(s) ?

(2) If I can use the installers - Can the 8.8 installer upgrade an 8.6 installation, or do I need to perform an "intermediate" 8.7 upgrade before 8.8?

Thanks in advance, Rick
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 0

Re: From 8.6 (patch 11) to 8.8.

Post by vavai »

Hi Rick,
rickst29 wrote:Two fast questions regarding an in-place upgrade from 8.6- patch 11 (single system running CentOS 6, just 5 email accounts, but "very important" shared calendars). I already have 'proxy' and 'memcached'.

(1) Should I use the migration tool in some way, or just run the installer(s) ?

(2) If I can use the installers - Can the 8.8 installer upgrade an 8.6 installation, or do I need to perform an "intermediate" 8.7 upgrade before 8.8?

Thanks in advance, Rick
If you have Zimbra on top of virtualization, better to backup and snapshot system before do an upgrade. I've successful upgrade process from 8.6 into 8.8 without an intermediate process to 8.7 and the upgrade itself all went smooth for the most server but found a little glitch on others due to SSL certificate (different SSL SAN and my hostname), TLS mode (as far as I remember the error message about TLS error) and an error from database inconsistent. You can also do a zmblobcheck for database consistency check before upgrade process to see whether it would lead some error or not.

As long as the OS itself didn't change, I just run an installer in-place. I tend to use migration tools (the one from Zextras) for different OS migration or move entire system into another server.
rickst29
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8 OSE

Re: From 8.6 (patch 11) to 8.8.

Post by rickst29 »

Thank you! No virtualization, and I have backed up the entire box. As you advised, I will be sure to run the DB consistency checker while the Serv er is down, and before upgrade....

EDIT: It all went great, now running 8.8. from the single install script (after checking the DB)..