PDF's attached with "Content-Disposition: inline" will not forward

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
filibertov

PDF's attached with "Content-Disposition: inline" will not forward

Post by filibertov »

I currently upgraded from
Release 8.7.10.GA.1829.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition.
to
Release 8.8.11.GA.3737.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.11_P2.

I started having reports that some attachments would not show up in the client compose window when forwarded. It's as if the original email had no attachment. Strangely enough, it seems only to happen with certain types of PDF's, but not all. After my investigation, it turns out that the issue for the missing PDF's lies in how it was attached originally. When looking at the source code of the email (right click, show original), all the PDF's that would not attach have "Content-Disposition: inline; ". Normally, if I hit reply, I would also see an open to "Add attachments from original message". This is not so with PDF's attached "inline". But any email with a PDF and "Content-Disposition: attachment;" will forward properly and is able to be attached on a reply. I just tested also by sending myself a picture from my iphone. The source for the image is "inline" as the Content-Disposition. It will not forward nor show up in a reply. Our current work-around is to save it, hit forward or reply in order to keep mail chain, then re-attach. Not terrible for some but for others it's torture. :)

This only happens when using the ZCS Web Client which is what all of my users have. Can anyone clue me in on a fix?

Thanks

Fil
florianh

Re: PDF's attached with "Content-Disposition: inline" will not forward

Post by florianh »

Hi Fil,

one of our users reported a strange behaviour of the Web client, which is probably related. The user isn't able to see attachments of the type you're describing in the Web client.

I have some suspicion already, will come back once there is news. At this point we're still investigating.

Regards
Florian
florianh

Post by florianh »

Hi all,

FYI, I've opened a ticket with Zimbra Support. It also affects the NETWORK edition.

The following links somehow form a group describing all the aspects and impacts:

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=109103
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65540
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=65500
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=65561

Regards
Florian
florianh

Post by florianh »

Update: According to Zimbra Support, a fix is planned for 8.8.11 Patch 3.
filibertov

Post by filibertov »

Currently, my work-around is having zimbra postfix use a custom_header_checks file.

Contents of file are:

/^(Content-Disposition: inline;).(filename=".*.[txt|pdf]")/ REPLACE Content-Disposition: attachment; $2
/^(Content-Type: application\/pdf;).(name=".*.txt")/ REPLACE Content-Type: text/plain; $2

This actually fixed an issue I was having where the browser tried to open TXT files as if they were PDF's (using PDF viewer app) resulting in an error. I can now forward PDF's and reply to an email and see the "Add attachments from original message". Although the TXT problem is not from Zimbra. It is directly from my application but this fixed it, too.

Looking forward to patch.

Thanks guys!
florianh

Post by florianh »

florianh wrote:Update: According to Zimbra Support, a fix is planned for 8.8.11 Patch 3.
Patch is released, and I can confirm that it fixes the issue.