Errata in the release notes of 8.8.15 P20

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
florianh

Errata in the release notes of 8.8.15 P20

Post by florianh »

Hi all,

I've just been sending this to Zimbra support already, but maybe it helps someone here in the meantime, too:

While installing the patch 20 for v8.8.15, I came across the following two errors in the release notes https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Releases/8.8.15/P20 .
I assume that this also applies to the ones for v9.0.

1. The option zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols is defined as "multi":

Code: Select all

$ zmprov desc -a zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols
    SSL protocols enabled for the proxy

type : string
              value :
           callback :
          immutable : false
        cardinality : multi
         requiredIn :
         optionalIn : server,globalConfig
              flags : serverInherited
           defaults : TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2
                min :
                max :
                 id : 1653
    requiresRestart :
              since : 8.6.0
    deprecatedSince :
That's how our configuration looked like:

$ zmprov gcf zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1.1
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1.2
Accordingly, the correct modification command is:

$ zmprov mcf +zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols TLSv1.3

$ zmprov gcf zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1.1
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1.2
zimbraReverseProxySSLProtocols: TLSv1.3
2. Modifying the mailboxd_java_options, it's important to use an apostrophe instead of quotation marks:

$ zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_options='-server -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2,TLSv1.3 -Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2,TLSv1.3 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=${networkaddress_cache_ttl} -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.disablejsr199=true -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=15 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=45 -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -verbose:gc -Xlog:gc*=info,safepoint=info:file=/opt/zimbra/log/gc.log:time:filecount=20,filesize=10m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djavax.net.debug=ssl,handshake,data'
Otherwise, the "${networkaddress_cache_ttl}" will be interpreted by the shell and typically be set to an empty string.

Kind regards
Florian
porokh
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 RHEL7 FOSS

Re: Errata in the release notes of 8.8.15 P20

Post by porokh »

This patch (8.8.15_P20) looks like less tested before release. When I apply it on a test ZCS instance (CentOS 7), there were warnings after yum update "zimbra*"

Updating   : zimbra-postfix-3.5.6-1zimbra8.7b3.el7.x86_64              43/100 
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.python.google.common.base.internal.Finalizer (file:/opt/zimbra/lib/jars/jython-standalone-2.5.2.jar) to field java.lang.Thread.inheritableThreadLocals
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.python.google.common.base.internal.Finalizer
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
  Updating   : zimbra-mta-components-1.0.11-1zimbra8.8b1.el7.x86_64      44/100 
Two days of lazy testing shows no problem, so I applied this patch on productive instance -- and warnings were repeated exactly. I hope it will disappear in the future patches.