Zimbra 9 OSE

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
lytledd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203 FOSS

Zimbra 9 OSE

Post by lytledd »

Just figured I'd note that I have completed my 8.8.15 OSE upgrade to 9.0.0 using the Zextras installer without issues (So far)

My setup:

Zimbra 8.8.15 P21 OSE running under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM
MailArchiva Free version on a separate VM
ASSP SPAM filter on a separate VM
LetsEncrypt on a separate VM
Z-Push ActiveSync on a separate VM

Everything tested as working after the upgrade. I'll be leaving the snapshots in place for a day or two just in case I need to revert

Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.202007114.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18_64 FOSS edition, Patch 9.0.0_P14

Doug
bulletxt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Zimbra 9 OSE

Post by bulletxt »

Just to better understand, why would one want to update to zimbra 9 OSE? What changes from Zimbra 8.8.15 OSE ? They both seem to be EOL in 31/12/2023 ...

Anyone?
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

bulletxt wrote:Just to better understand, why would one want to update to zimbra 9 OSE? What changes from Zimbra 8.8.15 OSE ? They both seem to be EOL in 31/12/2023 ...

Anyone?
Zimbra 9 contains a number of performance fixes, and a new web ui. Zimbra 9 also gets rid of the legacy HTML and mobile web page clients.
dominix
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 7.2.7 ... 8.8.15 ... 9.0.0

Post by dominix »

ZImbra 9 OSE is no more maintained.

Starting from p15, zimbra-*-patch packages have been moved away from the OSE repository. Furthermore, the new patch introduces some NE dependencies, making it incompatible with the current OSE installation, hence preventing OSE users to perform the update.

I guess Zimbra will no more support OSE, go for Kopano is a better bet.
Madegirah

Post by Madegirah »

dominix wrote:ZImbra 9 OSE is no more maintained.

Starting from p15, zimbra-*-patch packages have been moved away from the OSE repository. Furthermore, the new patch introduces some NE dependencies, making it incompatible with the current OSE installation, hence preventing OSE users to perform the update.

I guess Zimbra will no more support OSE, go for Kopano is a better bet.
No need to change the mail server. Actually, there is a Zextras Build of Zimbra OSE 9, that still gets updates. There is more info on how they do it - https://community.zextras.com/how-we-solved-the-issue-of-updating-zimbra-9/
You can download this build on their website https://www.zextras.com/zextras-build-based-on-zimbra-official-repository/
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

jholder wrote:Zimbra 9 contains a number of performance fixes, and a new web ui. Zimbra 9 also gets rid of the legacy HTML and mobile web page clients.
No one of our customer is willing to upgrade to 9.0.0 until draggin and dropping of the calendar appointments is still not implemented.
A beta ui is not a new ui.
tgx
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 CentOS 7.6.180

Post by tgx »

gabrieles wrote:
jholder wrote:Zimbra 9 contains a number of performance fixes, and a new web ui. Zimbra 9 also gets rid of the legacy HTML and mobile web page clients.
No one of our customer is willing to upgrade to 9.0.0 until draggin and dropping of the calendar appointments is still not implemented.
Honestly, I am over Zimbra. A great product that has been forever hobbled by ineffectual management
since day 1. If you wonder why people aren't buying enterprise licenses it's because of the stunts that
have been ongoing since the beginning. It's a matter of trust, or lack of at this point.
Taking a hard look at Kopano and Zextras Carbonio right now.
bulletxt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bulletxt »

tgx wrote:
gabrieles wrote:
Honestly, I am over Zimbra. A great product that has been forever hobbled by ineffectual management
since day 1. If you wonder why people aren't buying enterprise licenses it's because of the stunts that
have been ongoing since the beginning. It's a matter of trust, or lack of at this point.
And so, what is Zextras Carbonio ?????????????? It seems Zextras is willing to bring new development of zimbra in-house? Is that a fork of Zimbra??? Is Zimbra dead?
tgx
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 CentOS 7.6.180

Post by tgx »

bulletxt wrote:
tgx wrote:
gabrieles wrote:
And so, what is Zextras Carbonio ?????????????? It seems Zextras is willing to bring new development of zimbra in-house? Is that a fork of Zimbra??? Is Zimbra dead?
By all accounts it looks like Zimbra OSE is dead although there is still a 'roll you own' aspect to it. Zextras seems to be rolling their own but how long they can do that without an official fork is anyone's guess. I certainly wouldn't count on the continuation of the open source model given recent moves.
Madegirah

Post by Madegirah »

bulletxt wrote:
tgx wrote:
gabrieles wrote:
It’s not a fork. It’s Zextras development from scratch. Wait December for download and test Carbonio