Forwarding Messages for an entire account

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
mybase2

Forwarding Messages for an entire account

Post by mybase2 »

I am currently using Zimbra 8.8.15_GA_4018.FOSS 24 Mar, 2021
I managed to get the server setup and all seems to be working fine. I am able to create new users and everyone is sending and receiving messages just fine.
The problem:
I have a third party agency that generates email alerts when certain conditions are met. These messages are sent to a designated email box on Zimbra let's call it alerts@myabc.net
the messages will arrive with a from address of alerts@thirdpartyagency.net. I want all messages that arrive at alerts@myabc.net to be forwarded to my SMS provider at the address 15551234567@SMSProvider.com
This will send out a text message advising of the alert. The SMS provider (for security reasons) requires that any message received has to have a from address registered with the SMS provider or the text message will not be sent.
I have registered alerts@myabc.net with the SMS provider. I am unable to register alerts@thirdpartyagency.net with the SMS Provider because its already registered by/for another entity.

I went to the admin console and I edited the account for alerts@myabc.net and I set the "User-specified forwarding addresses" to 15551234567@SMSProvider.com
I saved everything but I'm not able to get it to work. When the alerts trigger the message flows all the way to the SMS provider but is rejected. The reason given is that the email address is not authorized.
Further investigation shows that the from address sent from Zimbra account is the address of the original sender alerts@thirdpartyagency.net . This indicates that Zimbra is redirecting the message not forwarding it.

I am new to Zimbra and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I want to forward not redirect all messages to the SMS Provider. Any help in resolving this would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Forwarding Messages for an entire account

Post by jholder »

Not sure there's much we can do to help you for an error they're giving.

I would just pick another address.