Zimbra 8.8.15 patch23 LDAP segmentation fault

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
sensor

Zimbra 8.8.15 patch23 LDAP segmentation fault

Post by sensor »

Hi All,

just a warning in case you try to deploy latest patch to zimbra 8.8.15 and encounter LDAP segmentation faults (with ldap crashing and nothing working after it) and you see something like this from dmesg:
[33525.226945] slapd[851]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f1634292b43 sp 00007eee32857310 error 6 in syncprov-2.4.so.2.10.12[7f1634286000+10000]

The workaround that worked for me:

stop all zimbra services (well - they will be stopped anyways... but just to be sure)
take a backup copy of "/opt/zimbra/conf/zmconfigd.cf"
from "/opt/zimbra/conf/zmconfigd.cf", remove following lines:
LOCAL ldap_overlay_syncprov_sessionlog
LDAP ldap_overlay_syncprov_sessionlog LOCAL ldap_overlay_syncprov_sessionlog

start zimbra services

There should be a big red warning at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Releases/8.8.15/P23
navdeepmathur

Re: Zimbra 8.8.15 patch23 LDAP segmentation fault

Post by navdeepmathur »

@sensor - yes this workaround is perfect and verified from Zimbra Support. We probably have a fix in upcoming patch.

This error is coming for few customers where 'olcSpSessionlog: 1000000' is missing in ldap config.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Howdy,
I just wanted to add some context here. I bet you are wondering why there isn't a big red warning.

This segfault happens in a very specific set of circumstances, which will not happen to the vast majority of users. It only happens if the LDAP server was once in an LDAP MMR configuration and is no longer.
It's unclear if it's because it wasn't removed properly due to user error or a script error in a previous release, but either way, we've had less than "a handfull" about this.
stopcap

Post by stopcap »

jholder wrote:Howdy,
I just wanted to add some context here. I bet you are wondering why there isn't a big red warning.

This segfault happens in a very specific set of circumstances, which will not happen to the vast majority of users. It only happens if the LDAP server was once in an LDAP MMR configuration and is no longer.
It's unclear if it's because it wasn't removed properly due to user error or a script error in a previous release, but either way, we've had less than "a handfull" about this.
Well, It happened in our company as well after updating to patch 23.

So many thanks for the work around, @sensor !!!
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Post by ghen »

gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

jholder wrote:It only happens if the LDAP server was once in an LDAP MMR configuration and is no longer.
We had it yesterday on a single server, that has never seen master-replica or MMR configuration
We had it today on a master-replica multiserver installation that has never been an MMR
Edit: We had it even on a multi master replica with custom schema.
Edit: We had it on a brand new install.
Edit: We had it today on a FOSS mmr install. All the previous were NETWORK.
jholder wrote:It's unclear if it's because it wasn't removed properly due to user error or a script error in a previous release, but either way, we've had less than "a handfull" about this.
We NEVER revert from an MMR installation, as stated in the KB:
"WARNING: Configuring MMR is a one-way trip! Once you have configured MMR, you must not remove all nodes from the MMR configuration! If you're removing nodes, you must retain at least one replication agreement on your MMR nodes."

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/LDAP_Multi ... eplication

For that we are abandoning MMR in new installation and preferring master-replicas
Last edited by gabrieles on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Post by DavidMerrill »

We NEVER revert from an MMR installation, as stated in the KB: "WARNING: Configuring MMR is a one-way trip! Once you have configured MMR, you must not remove all nodes from the MMR configuration! If you're removing nodes, you must retain at least one replication agreement on your MMR nodes."
Couple questions:
  1. I've seen these warnings too, but as of yet nothing specific on details, why exactly is there no way back?
  2. What happens when you do say for example you lose an MMR node in a 2-node system?
  3. Assume you make appropriate changes to ldap_url/ldap_master_url so nothing tries to talk to the missing MMR-node, does Zimbra continue to work (alebit super-cranky about not being able to replicate with the missing node)?
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

2. AFAIK, nothing specific happens but what you've talked about in 3.
No more replication and if the other servers are not using the one that is done, they don't even notice.

3. Yes it does, flawlessly (it just can't replicate).

The problem might be in case there's a new MMR server added.
To avoid any issue, I would set up a fully new server (new FQDN) as a MMR with another ID (see wiki page).
I would not try to reuse a previously used FQDN and have to find out if I have to remove it from the setup before (zmprov ds server.domain.tld) or not and other questions of the same type.

About 2 and 3, anyway, the best way would be to setup a load-balancer in front of the LDAP servers and point all other servers to the load balancer.
HAproxy does this very well, both for read and write, it's also able to test the backends and stop using one LDAP if it's down.
The very best way would be a pair of load-balancers with HA.

The point issue is you have to set back the real FQDN in the localconfig when upgrading your servers (not patching) because the scripts need to have the real LDAP server.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

DavidMerrill wrote:I've seen these warnings too, but as of yet nothing specific on details, why exactly is there no way back?
I'm lacking details too, i think that's related to the impossibility of deleting the last mmr replication agreement for a node.
If someone has details, or workarounds, they are well accepted!
DavidMerrill wrote:What happens when you do say for example you lose an MMR node in a 2-node system?
I'm not a openldap blackbelt, but i suppose that only the first node gets all the writes, and fails every time the syncronization with all the other masters that agrees.
Dumb question: mmr sync is a push sync, no? a master that has new data tells other masters "hey, someone gave me these these updated data, these are the value, this is the timestamp" and the timestamp becomes the ContextCSN.
If this is true, basically a "orphaned" ldap master tries always to communicate updated data to the dead master, failing. But this shoud not impact on the zimbra operations.
DavidMerrill wrote:Assume you make appropriate changes to ldap_url/ldap_master_url so nothing tries to talk to the missing MMR-node, does Zimbra continue to work (alebit super-cranky about not being able to replicate with the missing node)?
These are exactly the steps on which i based the previous answer...
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Post by DavidMerrill »

I'm lacking details too, i think that's related to the impossibility of deleting the last mmr replication agreement for a node.
If someone has details, or workarounds, they are well accepted!
Yeah that's the frustrating part, why is it impossible?
  1. Did the original LDAP-authors or LDAP-MMR-implementors/designers never consider the possibility going back to one node?
  2. Maybe they figured one would just dump the LDAP database and start up a new LDAP server (not a trivial ask in a Zimbra environment - thus hard to support).