Re: Carbonio CE

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

I had registered to get an email from them when it was released. It seems their subscribe option didn't work very well as I never got the supposed email. Had to visit the site again today, input my email, and only then I got an email. Not sure why I bothered to sign up previously considering that email notification should have been sent automatically to me without me having to visit manually today. Oh well.

The aesthetics are OK, not brilliant. I did expect better, but then I've seen a lot worse. What I'm more curious about though, is how much under the hood they have changed or is it just a rebrand. I'm hoping that all the old Java stuff has been replaced and updated, because a lot of it in ZCS was really old and scanning with Nessus had way too many critical vulnerabilities that needed addressing. I guess I'll have to make a quick install and do a vulnerability scan and see what pops up.
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Post by zimico »

I am interested in HA feature of Zextras Carbonio. Does anyone know or test this feature? How does it work?
Minh.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

zimico wrote:I am interested in HA feature of Zextras Carbonio. Does anyone know or test this feature? How does it work?
Minh.
These are questions for the Zextras forums, I'd suggest you ask there.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

Given that HA was only supported in paid versions of Zimbra, I would expect the same with Carbonio.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

First of all, it's not a rebrand. Nor a fork, even if there are things in common between ZCS and Carbonio.
ianw1974 wrote:Given that HA was only supported in paid versions of Zimbra, I would expect the same with Carbonio.
There's no HA feature in ZCS.
Carbonio's HA feature will be available in the paid version only.

Carbonio's HA feature is actually two servers (or more) doing the same thing at the same time (kinda "log shipping").
You'll need to use Carbonio's centralized storage and this storage must be shared/available between/from the servers (replicating the storage is not handled by Carbonio).
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

Klug wrote:First of all, it's not a rebrand. Nor a fork, even if there are things in common between ZCS and Carbonio.
Well I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with your viewpoint. For me, it's effectively a rebrand/fork. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, since things are rebranded/forked all the time. Sure they might do things differently with Carbonio than what Zimbra did, but that is about all. As a long-time user of Zimbra it's going to be hard to convince me or others otherwise when:

1. Admin interface, exactly the same as Zimbra. Even runs on the same port.
2. Webmail, different template, but basically the same as Zimbra.
3. Directory structure for /opt/zextras - exactly the same as Zimbra.
4. Bootstrap/installation process - reduced amount of questions than compared to Zimbra, eg, doesn't let you change the email address for virus-quarantine or spam/ham like Zimbra does or any of the other options, but otherwise, the rest of it is the same in the way it configures Carbonio. You can see this just by comparing the output from configuring Zimbra and configuring Carbonio.
5. Running status of carbonio service shows exactly the same as the output from the status of zimbra service or zmcontrol status.
6. All the zm* commands exist just the same as with Zimbra.

I could go on and find even more. But that aside:

After a clean install:

zmclamdctl is not running
zmfreshclamctl is not running
logger Stopped
zmlogswatchctl is not running

seems the product isn't production-ready since these services would normally start fine with Zimbra, with Carbonio they don't. Even restarting Carbonio or attempting to restart each of these services individually doesn't work. Even running zmfixperms doesn't fix this. Needs a bit more work yet to be production-ready, but that is to be expected. All in all, not bad, but I like the OP would stay with Zimbra until the product works properly and is proven to be stable.
mkr
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15

Post by mkr »

Hi ianw1974

Whats your review on Carbonio CE w.r.t stability etc.
I also require your view on comparison with ZImbra 10 Daffodil build for which you built tar file.

ianw1974 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:29 am
Klug wrote:First of all, it's not a rebrand. Nor a fork, even if there are things in common between ZCS and Carbonio.
Well I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with your viewpoint. For me, it's effectively a rebrand/fork. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, since things are rebranded/forked all the time. Sure they might do things differently with Carbonio than what Zimbra did, but that is about all. As a long-time user of Zimbra it's going to be hard to convince me or others otherwise when:

1. Admin interface, exactly the same as Zimbra. Even runs on the same port.
2. Webmail, different template, but basically the same as Zimbra.
3. Directory structure for /opt/zextras - exactly the same as Zimbra.
4. Bootstrap/installation process - reduced amount of questions than compared to Zimbra, eg, doesn't let you change the email address for virus-quarantine or spam/ham like Zimbra does or any of the other options, but otherwise, the rest of it is the same in the way it configures Carbonio. You can see this just by comparing the output from configuring Zimbra and configuring Carbonio.
5. Running status of carbonio service shows exactly the same as the output from the status of zimbra service or zmcontrol status.
6. All the zm* commands exist just the same as with Zimbra.

I could go on and find even more. But that aside:

After a clean install:

zmclamdctl is not running
zmfreshclamctl is not running
logger Stopped
zmlogswatchctl is not running

seems the product isn't production-ready since these services would normally start fine with Zimbra, with Carbonio they don't. Even restarting Carbonio or attempting to restart each of these services individually doesn't work. Even running zmfixperms doesn't fix this. Needs a bit more work yet to be production-ready, but that is to be expected. All in all, not bad, but I like the OP would stay with Zimbra until the product works properly and is proven to be stable.
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

I don't use Carbonio so I cannot comment on stability etc or even compare it.