About zimbra-ldap-patch

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
edisu
Advanced member
Advanced member

About zimbra-ldap-patch

Post by edisu »

Hi All,

Im runing zimbra 8.8.15 NE multi server environment currently im on zimbra patch 10 im planning to upgrade to zimbra patch 32. I'm using AD for the internal DNS of my zimbra. I read about the release notes and im wondering do i need to install zimbra-ldap-patch on my system? I search all installed on server and that zimbra-ldap-patch does not yet exist on my server. My question is do i need to install that? Thanks
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Re: About zimbra-ldap-patch

Post by ghen »

zimbra-ldap-patch is for LDAP-only servers in a multi-server install (for log4j v2 compatibility in Patch 32). It's indeed not an "update", you need to install this new package explicitly a first time.
If you host your Zimbra LDAP together with proxy or mailboxd components, the log4j stuff is alreay covered. But future zimbra-ldap-patch releases may contain LDAP-specific fixes, so better install it anyway.

If you're using Zimbra with AD instead of Zimbra's own OpenLDAP server, this zimbra-ldap-patch package is not relevant for you.
edisu
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by edisu »

ghen wrote:zimbra-ldap-patch is for LDAP-only servers in a multi-server install (for log4j v2 compatibility in Patch 32). It's indeed not an "update", you need to install this new package explicitly a first time.
If you host your Zimbra LDAP together with proxy or mailboxd components, the log4j stuff is alreay covered. But future zimbra-ldap-patch releases may contain LDAP-specific fixes, so better install it anyway.

If you're using Zimbra with AD instead of Zimbra's own OpenLDAP server, this zimbra-ldap-patch package is not relevant for you.
Is it safe to install zimbra-ldap-patch? I'm afraid, it might conflict with AD. Also do you know what are the common config files that need to be backup first before applying zimbra patch cause i know it might overwrite something on my config files when i apply latest zimbra patch. Thanks for quick reply.
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ghen »

Do you have any server(s) with "zimbra-ldap" installed ? Then install zimbra-ldap-patch on them. Otherwise, don't.

Zimbra-ldap-patch updates generic zimbra java stuff, like zmconfigd, log4j.properties, zmlocalconfig, ... for log4j v2.
On servers with (also) mailboxd and/or proxies installed, you'll already have those updates through their respective zimbra-*-patch packages. On LDAP-only servers, there was no zimbra-ldap-patch package so far, hence it was created for P32.

Installing it won't interact with your AD setup in any way.
Inglebard

Post by Inglebard »

ghen wrote:Do you have any server(s) with "zimbra-ldap" installed ? Then install zimbra-ldap-patch on them. Otherwise, don't.

Zimbra-ldap-patch updates generic zimbra java stuff, like zmconfigd, log4j.properties, zmlocalconfig, ... for log4j v2.
On servers with (also) mailboxd and/or proxies installed, you'll already have those updates through their respective zimbra-*-patch packages. On LDAP-only servers, there was no zimbra-ldap-patch package so far, hence it was created for P32.

Installing it won't interact with your AD setup in any way.

What about Single-Server Installation ?
Do i need to install zimbra-ldap-patch ?
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ghen »

Quoting myself:
ghen wrote:Do you have any server(s) with "zimbra-ldap" installed ? Then install zimbra-ldap-patch on them. Otherwise, don't.
Inglebard

Post by Inglebard »

Thanks, update today and no issue.