Cannot invoke "java.lang.CharSequence.length()" because "this.text" is null

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
melbel

Re: Cannot invoke "java.lang.CharSequence.length()" because "this.text" is null

Post by melbel »

Is anybody actually using EWS with a current patch level?

I finally managed to convince them that a bug exists after I reproduced it on a new, empty 9.0.0 install on Ubuntu 20.04. That shows the error simply by creating a calendar entry in the web frontend for a new user. So there is a ZBUG-3124 now.

No idea if and when a fix will be available, of course.
busymac

Post by busymac »

Congrats :D Our users tried contacting Zimbra support but they continue to believe this is a bug in the client app, which is bizarre as it's a server side error. Leaves me with zero confidence in their technical support / team.
melbel

Post by melbel »

I hear you. On the one hand it's understandable that their front line support are no experts.
On the other hand it's *not* understandable that obvious java errors that include stack traces pointing to a specific line of code aren't looked at by people.

And what pissed me off the most was that the problem is directly reproducible on a clean, new install. So nobody at Zimbra must have even tried to point a EWS client at their installations recently.

So, feel free to have your users push ZBUG-3124 within their support case since that can only help us all :-)
melbel

Post by melbel »

At least the errors are gone with the latest patches. And Outlook on MacOS appears functional now.

Has anybody managed to get a Exchange Internet Account properly working on MacOS? Mail seems to be ok but Calendar entries still do not show up in the Apple Calendar app for us.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

melbel wrote:At least the errors are gone with the latest patches. And Outlook on MacOS appears functional now.

Has anybody managed to get a Exchange Internet Account properly working on MacOS? Mail seems to be ok but Calendar entries still do not show up in the Apple Calendar app for us.
Works for me. Zimbra 8.8.15 Patch 37. MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 on an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro.
melbel

Post by melbel »

Ok, this is strange. We have the exact same setup as yours *and* a completely new install with zimbra9.0 patch 30. In both cases, Apple Calendar simply won't show existing appointments on the Zimbra Server.

I re-added the account in MacOS, pointing to https://zimbra(9).ourdomain/EWS/Exchange.asmx for both internal and external URLs.
Appointments newly created in Apple Calendar show up in Zimbra but those already in Zimbra aren't shown in the Calendar App.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Why are you setting it up that way? There's no need.

Apple icon > System Settings > Internet Accounts > Add Account > Microsoft Exchange is the way to go.

Just make sure you have the right autodiscover records in public DNS ahead of time. Like this:

Code: Select all

_imaps._tcp        300 IN SRV   0 0 993 securemail.yourdomain.com.
_submission._tcp   300 IN SRV   0 0 587 securemail.yourdomain.com.
autodiscover       300 IN CNAME         securemail.yourdomain.com.
_autodiscover._tcp 300 IN SRV   0 0 443 securemail.yourdomain.com.
Hope that helps,
Mark