<SOLVED> ZImbra clone

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
sr57
ZCS/ZD Version: zmcontrol -v Release 8.8.15.GA.4179

<SOLVED> ZImbra clone

Post by sr57 »

I'm looking for a way to "clone" my zimbra server (on another domain) in order to test upgrade since my main server is still running.

See my previous post "viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71396' I did not succeed to upgrade from Ubuntu 14.
Last edited by sr57 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clan51

Re: ZImbra clone

Post by Clan51 »

Same with me. I've cloned my production server and upgraded the cloned one. I had succeed to upgrade from zcs 8.8.10 to 8.8.15.

The problem now, I have no clue to migrate all stuffs from production server (zcs 8.8.10) to the upgraded one (zcs 8.8.15). Anyone could enlight us? Thanks in advance.
sr57

Post by sr57 »

Hi Clan51,

How do you clone your server? Did you get the 2 servers running at the same time?

Your case is not exactly the same as me, in your case, I should transfer the data (clone) before the upgrade.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

Clan51 wrote:Same with me. I've cloned my production server and upgraded the cloned one. I had succeed to upgrade from zcs 8.8.10 to 8.8.15.

The problem now, I have no clue to migrate all stuffs from production server (zcs 8.8.10) to the upgraded one (zcs 8.8.15). Anyone could enlight us? Thanks in advance.
I use the clone for a test. So clone the prod, do the upgrades on the test and refine the process until it's smooth and scripted (type ./go and let it do its thing). Then clone/backup prod and upgrade it directly. While that is in process, clients are denied access and inbound mail is blocked so nothing is lost. If the upgrade fails (and I did have it fail once) I restore the prod from backup and repeat the process at another time.
sr57

Post by sr57 »

BradC wrote: ...So clone the prod, do the upgrades on the test ....
How do you clone it? Do you have the prod server running when you upgrade the test?
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

sr57 wrote:
BradC wrote: ...So clone the prod, do the upgrades on the test ....
How do you clone it? Do you have the prod server running when you upgrade the test?
Yes I do. I have the system set up so the clone comes up with a different MAC & IP address. I have a script in /etc/rc.local that changes the hostname and backup/hsm mounts in fstab and also prevents zimbra autostarting.

So I clone the zimbra VM while its still running, then boot the clone and do all the testing on that. I do it so frequently it's all neatly scripted up. Before I do any work on prod, I isolate it from the world, bring it down and clone it to backup, then restart and do the upgrade.

I'm not fussed if the test has a consistency issue with cloning a running VM because I can always do it again. I've never had an issue however.

I probably tested the 8.8.12 to 8.8.15 migration 30 times across months (working on it when I had time) until I found a methodology that I liked and scripted it tightly so I didn't have to rely on "not making a mistake".
sr57

Post by sr57 »

BradC wrote: Yes I do. I have the system set up ... so I didn't have to rely on "not making a mistake".
Thanks you very much.

I'll try a new time to solve my upgrade problem directly and work on your solution next if needed.

The only concern I have is the time and space disk to clone, have you any idea to make a "clone light" , same exe and a sample of the mails?
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

sr57 wrote:The only concern I have is the time and space disk to clone, have you any idea to make a "clone light" , same exe and a sample of the mails?
Nope. Rather than sort that out I just bought more storage. At current rates my time is worth ~4TB/hour. Cheaper to buy more storage than work out how to make it smaller.