Google Apps to Zimbra

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
angelo184

Google Apps to Zimbra

Post by angelo184 »

We are migrating away from Google Apps and to Zimbra Network Edition.
We are in the process of syncing mailboxes using Imap Sync and its working fairly well.
The question we need answered is what is the best method to sync everyone's calendars off of Google Apps and into Zimbra? Anyone have any experience with this?
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Google Apps to Zimbra

Post by soxfan »

You don't say how many users you are migrating, but if it is a relatively small number your best bet may be to export from Google and then use the import "wizard" in the ZCS web-client interface. I don't have any experience specifically with Google Apps, but we recently did a migration from Outlook to Zimbra for around 40 users and this method worked well. There is also info in the Zimbra wiki on migration that you may want to check out. You can do importing through the command line as well.
angelo184

Google Apps to Zimbra

Post by angelo184 »

We are migrating 250 users. Management does not want the user base to have to deal with exporting calendars out of google and then importing them into Zimbra. They want the system turn key so that when a user sits down on go live day everything is as it was in our previous solution. From what I gathered from the wiki using the REST api is the best way to handle something like this. We would have to first figure out how to export every users calendar from Google then shove them into each users account in Zimbra via the REST stuff.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Google Apps to Zimbra

Post by soxfan »

Yeah, I can understand not wanting to get the user base involved. 250 could be considered pushing it for "relatively small" anyway. The REST method should work fine. We used it several years ago for our initial migration from Outlook to Zimbra. Not sure about the Google end of things. I would hope with Google Apps that there is some type of administrative access to all accounts.
searssd

Google Apps to Zimbra

Post by searssd »

Hello Angelo184-

What were your reasons for migrating from Google Apps to Zimbra? Has it worked out the way you expected?

Thanks!