Migration from old server to the new one (different versions of OS and Zimbra)

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
pavelp

Migration from old server to the new one (different versions of OS and Zimbra)

Post by pavelp »

Hello everybody,
I would like to migrate Zimbra from the old server to the new one (which is a quite common scenario, I think) but unfortunately I cannot find any official guide how to do so. My old version and server is:
Release 5.0.12_GA_2789.RHEL5_64_20090126051426 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition
the new one
Release 8.7.6_GA_1776.RHEL6_64_20170326144124 RHEL6_64 FOSS edition.
I read some documents but unfortunately all of them expect the same OS and Zimbra version (which is a quite weird assumption - why would anyone possibly want to migrate from and to the same version).
Please, could anybody provide me with guidelines what is the recommended procedure for migration from different OS and Zimbra versions? If there is no such recommended procedure, making things clear would be also highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Pavel
fbzimblet
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Migration from old server to the new one (different versions of OS and Zimbra)

Post by fbzimblet »

you can do it one at a time

for example:
1- zcs 5.0.12 on centos 5 to zcs 5.0.12 on centos 6 (./install -s then rsync /opt/zimbra, then re-run install -l ZCSLicense.xml -a activationfile)
2- then after make sure everything is working out, upgrade to 8.0.9

note: zmcontrol stop on source before rsync & stop incoming mail e.g: offline you spamfilter
ajcody
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Migration from old server to the new one (different versions of OS and Zimbra)

Post by ajcody »

You might also consider upgrading your old server to version 6 [https://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/Compatibi ... Release:_6] and then using zextras migration wizard. https://www.zextras.com/suite/migration-tool/
grdsto

Post by grdsto »

Hi,

Have you try the migration step at https://syslint.com/blog/tutorial/zimbr ... ct-method/ ?
I'm also try to migrate from zcs 5.0.11 on ubuntu 8.04 into the new server with zcs 8.7.11 running on ubuntu 16.04, but always failed when try to backup the email account using zmmailbox command (result is empty inbox).

Any advice are welcome, thanks.
bvillers

Post by bvillers »

I need to upgrade our ZCS v.7.2.7 email server running on CentOS 5.

The target version is ZCS v.8.8.6 running on CentOS 7.

Initially installed CentOS 7 on new VM.

Freshly installed ZCS v.8.8.6.

Plan to migrate data to new ZCS server.

Not sure if interim installation is needed, e.g. CentOS 7 & ZCS 7.2.7.

Reading docs and blogs for direction.