Question about PST import

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
armitage318
Advanced member
Advanced member

Question about PST import

Post by armitage318 »

Hi,
I need to migrate about 100 accounts from a cPanel server to Zimbra Open Source Edition (on a different machine).
End users are using Microsoft Outlook 2003 / 2007.
I can't migrate all users at same time, so I would like to:

- create all accounts on Zimbra Open Source Edition (with same password, which I do have in cleartext)
- change MX record, in order to switch from "old" cPanel server to new one (Zimbra)
- start receiving email on new server (Zimbra)
- import pst one by one (or group of users)

My question is: after pst import, will messages be "merged" (I mean: to very recent message received directly on Zimbra, with the old ones stored in pst)?

Thank you
racerock

Re: Question about PST import

Post by racerock »

Not sure if its of any use as I am not sure what you mean by Merged ..

Below was my method on a couple of smaller sites ( not as many as 100 but process can be the same)

One thing you don’t mention ..will you continue to use Outlook, I am guessing not as support has ended for both these versions you mention, or will you convert to using the Zimbra web client (ZWC)

Below is assuming ZWC but in one exception I had a site where users insisted to keep a couple of Outlooks (2010) so I just created a separate Outlook profile , I know this may not suite every user but this way you are sure end users wont go drag dropping stuff all over the place.

Get MX record switched and coincide to get everyone up and running on day one logging to ZWC ( if outlook then I used profile chooser old / new)

Initially without any history in the Zimbra server the new emails start trickle in... but they can look at the old email in outlook .. ( I suggest use firewall to stop them sending any mail via old mail server)

Providing you can still access the old server to POP or IMAP in the data to create your PST and if its Imap you will need force Outlook to Download Complete IMAP items etc...

Slowly get your PST ....import the PST's as required the import tool will ask some questions about overwrite duplicates etc... make your informed decision here but it will merge the old email with the few days email you have started to build up ..

et viola

Worked for me depends on your users and if you continue with outlook..
serano

Post by serano »

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

cPanel or Plesk is the typical Hosting Software products, a lot of people use it for hosting Web Pages, Mail accounts, FTP, etc. But the email functionalities in this software are very limited, so the best option has split the services, let the Web Page in a cPanel or Plesk service, but put the email in a Zimbra Collaboration Server. In this Wiki we will see how to import all the cPanel/Plesk accounts trough IMAP protocol using the Account Migration tool that Zimbra includes (Open Source and Network Edition)