Migration of 8.8.11 from Centos 7 to Ubuntu 20.04

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
smclinden

Migration of 8.8.11 from Centos 7 to Ubuntu 20.04

Post by smclinden »

My understanding is that I need to have the same version including the minor release number on the new server. But I can't find a Open Source version of 8.8.11 prebuilt for Ubuntu 20.04.

Pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Or is it possible to export all the data and then import it into a newer release of Zimbra?
jhurley
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: Migration of 8.8.11 from Centos 7 to Ubuntu 20.04

Post by jhurley »

8.8.11 is an extremely old version and a build was never created for Ubuntu 20.04 for this release.
If you need to stay on 8.8.11 you can use Ubuntu 16.04 but we recommend upgrading your server to 8.8.15 which supports Ubuntu 20.04.
smclinden

Post by smclinden »

jhurley wrote:8.8.11 is an extremely old version and a build was never created for Ubuntu 20.04 for this release.
If you need to stay on 8.8.11 you can use Ubuntu 16.04 but we recommend upgrading your server to 8.8.15 which supports Ubuntu 20.04.
I assumed that this was the case. I guess my question is, if I follow the procedure outlined in https://rants.tech/migrating-opensource ... -downtime/ can I import the accounts and mailboxes dumped from 8.8.11 into a new instance of 8.8.15?

Thanks!
jhurley
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by jhurley »

There are a number of ways to do the migration.
You can use the link provided but It was done by a community member some time ago so I recommend doing your diligence in testing the steps.

You also can use a rolling migration, which is outlined in:

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Rolling_Upgrades_Overview

Again I recommend doing your diligence in testing all of the steps.
marshal4

Post by marshal4 »

Since you're having trouble finding a prebuilt version for Ubuntu 20.04, have you considered trying to build it from source? It could be a bit of work, but it might be worth a shot if you're determined to make the migration. Alternatively, exporting all the data and then importing it into a newer release of Zimbra could also be a viable solution. It really depends on your specific needs and preferences. By the way, just wanted to point out that CentOS 7 Extended Lifecycle Support is available until 2024, in case that affects your decision-making process. " cu "Regarding the error you received, it's unfortunate that the upgrade script and CCS docs suggest that disabling CCS will result in data loss. I'm not sure if others have experienced this issue, but have you considered reaching out to the support team for CCS to see if they have any recommendations or workarounds? They may have experience with similar situations and can offer some guidance. Additionally, since CentOS 7 Extended Lifecycle Support is available until 2024, you could consider sticking with CentOS for now and planning for the migration in the future when there may be more options available.
Last edited by marshal4 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Is there any specific reason you're switching to Ubuntu rather than one of the Centos8 replacements? If you stick with that the upgrade is relatively painless. You could download the Centos8 version of ZCS then run an in-place upgrade of centos 8 to (for example) RockyL:inux 8 then upgrade your ZCS version to the RockyLinux 8 version. Obviously you should take adequate backups before this type of upgrade.

BTW, I did that exact procedure when RockyLinux 8 became available and without problems.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
habibza

Post by habibza »

Dear;

If you feel free please read our article about zimbra migration open source. can be used with ubuntu OS, Centos OS or other.
https://www.habibza.in/zimbra-open-sour ... -transfer/