Nightly Full Backup Schedule

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
reza225
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by reza225 »

Hello, I'd like to have my Zimbra server backup in-full every night, and keep backups for up to 7 days. Could someone show me the proper zmschedulebackup syntax? I'm a little confused by the documentation.

Thanks.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Did you have a look at the wiki?
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bjared »

[quote]Did you have a look at the wiki?[/QUOTE]
I just looked at the wiki, since I toughed this out without it. Some notes on the wiki:
1. There's no mention of the "delete" schedule.

2. There's no "real-world" example of a typical command. (i.e., no reference to the required quotes around the schedule)
For better documentation, zmschedulebackup --help is (at this point) better documentation.
Using the -R option to replace your schedule, you can specify all the schedules (delete, incremental and full) in the same command:

[zimbra@zimbra1 ~]$ zmschedulebackup -R

d 15d "0 12 * * 0"

f "0 1 * * 0"

i "0 1 * * 1-6"
Schedule replaced
Current Schedule:
d 15d 0 12 * * 0

f 0 1 * * 0

i 0 1 * * 1-6

Since there was no reference on the "d" (delete) schedule, you'll notice that it requires two parameters -- one for the age, and one for the crontab schedule. I hope this helps. It took me a handful of attempts before I figured this tool out. The --help option helped a lot more than either the admin guide or the wiki.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="bjared"]1. There's no mention of the "delete" schedule.

2. There's no "real-world" example of a typical command. (i.e., no reference to the required quotes around the schedule).[/QUOTE]Since you have some 'real world' experience you could add it to the wiki, it's editable by users.:D
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bjared »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Since you have some 'real world' experience you could add it to the wiki, it's editable by users.:D[/QUOTE]
What kind of users? I looked for a way to edit that page already, and I don't see an edit tab, as I do in other wikis. I can click on "article" "discussion" "view source" "history" and "watch".
Let me know where you hid the "edit" tab, and I'd gladly add some content.
--Brian
P.S. When I append "&action=edit" to the URL, I don't get any buttons either to preview, submit nor show changes. Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You (probably) need to create an account, top right on the main page.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Having said that, maybe you can only edit some of the pages. I don't have a wiki account and some of them do have an edit tab at the top. I've also never edited a wiki myself, so I'm probably completely lost here.:D
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bjared »

Yeah, I logged out and back in, and still no "edit" tab.
I wonder if they'd let me edit the Administration guide too... :)
(i.e page 116 of the 4.0 ZCS Network Edition, there is a reference to "zmofflinerestore" which isn't a valid command. There were some zmprov commands that were incorrect to, but I've slept a lot since discovering them.)
...but I digress. I'd love to contribute.
Oh, to get back on topic... I have a lot of files under /opt/zimbra/backup with a date of December 31, 1969.
Here's an example:

File: `/opt/zimbra/backup/sessions/full-20061202.060018.824/accounts/9022fb32-ad35-4f97-8aef-1ec554360941/account_latest.dat'

Size: 1034 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 regular file

Device: 812h/2066d Inode: 901242 Links: 2

Access: (0640/-rw-r-----) Uid: ( 501/ zimbra) Gid: ( 501/ zimbra)

Access: 1969-12-31 19:00:00.000000000 -0500

Modify: 1969-12-31 19:00:00.000000000 -0500

Change: 2006-12-16 08:55:21.000000000 -0500

It appears to be a backup file from Dec 2, 2006? Why would it have such a funky date? I was going to use unix find to delete really old files, but after seeing these timestamps, I'm a little nervous on doing so.
--Brian
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I don't know much about the backup I'm afraid so there isn't much light I could shed on your problem.
For the wiki, I'd suggest dropping an email to one of the admins and offer your help.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra