How to enforce Localization ?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
KuhlmannSascha

Post by KuhlmannSascha »

Hi,
i have the german localization package installed.

On PC's with a german Windows XP, this package is used to render.
But on english Windows boxes, same user session is rendered using the default localization package !
Is it possible to add a parameter to the URL in order to enforce the localization ?
Regards

sascha
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Hello, welcome to the forum.
There's an RFE for that, vote for it : http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8018
KuhlmannSascha

Post by KuhlmannSascha »

Hi Klug,
so there is no workaround/feature available so far.
[quote user="8141Klug"]Hello, welcome to the forum.
There's an RFE for that, vote for it :
>

Did it.....this is a standard feature for a collaboration suite....unless companies don't act global.......

Regards

Sascha
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dkarp »

[quote user="KuhlmannSascha"]this is a standard feature for a collaboration suite....unless companies don't act global.......[/QUOTE]

In general, we've seen that users with English Windows installed want to use an English web client and those who've installed German Windows want to use the German UI. While it's possible that someone will want German applications and menus but an English mail client (or vice versa), it's not the norm as far as we've seen.
Please vote for the RFE if you'd like us to add that functionality, though!
KuhlmannSascha

Post by KuhlmannSascha »

Hi Karp,
[quote user="dkarp"]In general, we've seen that users with English Windows installed want to use an English web client and those who've installed German Windows want to use the German UI. While it's possible that someone will want German applications and menus but an English mail client (or vice versa), it's not the norm as far as we've seen.[/QUOTE]
i agree in old school Software(fatclients) companies agree on a set of different version mostly one language, in order to reduce the complexity of the handled client versions.
But webtechnologies, like portals, etc drive their sucess by allowing the Enduser to change the UI to their needs and not to force the user to adopt to another program!
But it might also that I am spoiled, due to the fact that the company i am working is delivering their Standard Software in 22 Languages and every user can define at logon time what language he or she wants :)
But to finish this thread: how do you determine the localization ? By OS or by browser settings ? A little insight would be appreciated !
Regards
Sascha
[quote user="dkarp"]Please vote for the RFE if you'd like us to add that functionality, though![/QUOTE]
Done !
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dkarp »

[quote user="KuhlmannSascha"]But to finish this thread: how do you determine the localization ? By OS or by browser settings ?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's browser settings.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

[quote user="dkarp"]I'm pretty sure it's browser settings.[/QUOTE]

It is : you can test it easily by putting another language on the top of the list (of languages handled by your browser) and force-reloading the WebUI.