How to prevent users from deleting from trash?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
davespigot

Post by davespigot »

Is there a way to prevent users from deleting anything from the "trash" folder? Or, what is the best mechanism to keep users from being able to truely delete their e-mail from the server - I want administrators to be the only user that can completely delete an e-mail.
Thanks,
Dave Redmore
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dkarp »

At present, there's no way to disable the "Empty Trash" option.
Even if you turned off POP and IMAP and wrote a zimlet to hide the "Empty Trash" option from the AJAX client and hand-edited the JSPs that provide the HTML client, the sevrer would still support the corresponding SOAP request.
There's a message archiving feature in the 4.5 Network Edition that will probably do what you want.
su_A_ve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by su_A_ve »

[quote user="davespigot"]Is there a way to prevent users from deleting anything from the "trash" folder? Or, what is the best mechanism to keep users from being able to truely delete their e-mail from the server - I want administrators to be the only user that can completely delete an e-mail.
Thanks,
Dave Redmore[/QUOTE]
Your best option is to train your users that the TRASH folder is NOT a storage folder.
Ask them if they actually go to the dumpster to get something out of the trash after a week of them noticing they threw it away...
Now if you as an admin want to disable trash for your users, it's another story...
My .02...
ChaosFreak

Post by ChaosFreak »

[quote user="su_A_ve"]Your best option is to train your users that the TRASH folder is NOT a storage folder.
Ask them if they actually go to the dumpster to get something out of the trash after a week of them noticing they threw it away...
Now if you as an admin want to disable trash for your users, it's another story...
My .02...[/QUOTE]
I don't think he's trying to prevent users from accidentally emptying their trash, I think he wants to keep all messages on his system permanently until the administrator decides to delete them.
I also need to do this... is there anyway to do this?
su_A_ve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by su_A_ve »

[quote user="ChaosFreak"]I don't think he's trying to prevent users from accidentally emptying their trash, I think he wants to keep all messages on his system permanently until the administrator decides to delete them.
I also need to do this... is there anyway to do this?[/QUOTE]
Ah - misunderstood OPs message. I can see why this could be needed - "I never got the message - My trash can is empty"
ChaosFreak

Post by ChaosFreak »

No, think more along the lines of "big brother." Some companies want to prevent users from deleting mail that may be incriminating, inappropriate, or evidence of misconduct.
ChaosFreak

Post by ChaosFreak »

You are much better off setting up system-wide archiving to make a copy of all email into and out of the system into a separate archive account. That way you have copies of all emails in one place so it doesn't matter if the users delete their own copy.