Distribution Lists

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Distribution Lists

Post by selliott »

Hi All,

I am the email administrator for our company and we currently use FirstClass as our email. :( We are evaluating other products in an effort to move away from FirstClass. :)

I have just installed Zimbra Network Trial Edition, and have a question about distribution lists or maybe newsgroups. FirstClass has what they call conferences. For example, We have a conference called IT Requests. Users send requests to this conference. Permissions are assigned so that it is only on the IT administrators FirstClass desktops. If I create a distribution list in Zimbra called IT Request, am I able to share it so that it shows on specified desktops. I don't want to have to log into a separate account to monitor the email. Some of our users have 5 or 6 different conferences that they monitor and it would be cumbersome to open separate accounts for each.
Thank You for your time,

Sherry

UNC-TV
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Distribution Lists

Post by mmorse »

Distribution lists work like this:

You send a mail to list@domain.com

all applied members (see the admin console) get it as an email to their own accounts
Therefore an IT admin won't have to login to another account.
Hope that's a simple enough explanation :)
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Distribution Lists

Post by mmorse »

Oh and forgot to mention

you in postfix you can limit who can send to that distribution list

(so say only users at your domain can email it etc)
(this feature will be edventually added to the admin console-there's a RFE somewhere...)
Temporary method:

RestrictPostfixRecipients - ZimbraWiki

Bugs:

Bug 7104 - Distribution List Restrictions

Bug 9620 - Mail policies and access control for sending to distribution lists

Other info:

Restrict sending to certain domains - ZimbraWiki