Error -2147418094

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Guest6400
Advanced member
Advanced member

Error -2147418094

Post by Guest6400 »

I have a user getting this error. There is a bug #12347 that is the same as this, but it's supposedly fixed.
The user has "Compose in new window selected".
The error comes up randomly and there's no way to reproduce it that I can see other than just doing ANYTHING in zimbra. It can be composing new mail, deleting a message, changing folders, etc as far as I can tell.
Since this is listed as fixed in the 4.5.6 changelog I'll assume that was put there in error or this is a new problem.
error.JPG
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Error -2147418094

Post by soxfan »

Yeah, this seems to be a troublesome bug. Read through the comments and you will see that it has been closed and re-opened a few times. One of the latest messages from Kevin H. says that the bug was closed because the error is too generic, and refers to comment #53 for details on steps to take to open a new bug. Unfortunately comment #53 appears to be missing.
To this point I've just told my users that they either have to turn off the "Compose in new window" option or live with the error. Obviously far from ideal.
Guest6400
Advanced member
Advanced member

Error -2147418094

Post by Guest6400 »

Well, my user now will just have to live with the error even with the "Compose in new window" box checked....Apparently that doesn't fix it at all.
I've filed a support case and have been told the bug is reopened. It is Bug 18270 . (Does the page for the bug look all messed up for anyone else?)
I've been told by Zimbra Support that until I provide a way to recreate the problem, there is nothing really they can do about it. The problem is that it throws the error seemingly at random....when you click compose, when you click send, when you add a contact, when you go into options, etc.....The best part is that it doesn't always happen even if the same actions are performed, so you can try one thing and have the error, but then try the same steps again and nothing happens.
If anyone has any help or knows how to recreate this bug "reliably" please let me know. Being in tech support I know how hard it can be to find a solution when the customer/user doesn't have much info to provide you. I just wish I had a better answer for my user than: "Well, I've contacted support and they really don't have any answers for me until I can tell them how you're getting these errors." See previous paragraph for troubleshooting that we've done so far.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Error -2147418094

Post by 14319KevinH »

Mike we hear you. In fact the developers have been pulling their hair out on this one. This is basically IE's way of reporting a NullPointerException. Unfortunately IE doesn't give any line numbers or stack traces. So without a set of reproduce steps we don't have anything to go on. One thing that may help you gather the required data is to have a debugger on the machine so you can catch the error in action. Good thing is that once we get a line number or a way to reproduce these are trivial things to fix (most of the time). Just need to add a null check or put a safety check. So if your inclined to get to the bottom of this I'd recommend you install MSE and try to catch the error in action.
[quote]

from: erik’s weblog » Blog Archive » MSE - Microsoft Script Editor
Microsoft Script Editor is probably one of the lesser known tools that can really make a difference when it comes to developing web applications. MSE is a debugger, much like Visual Studio and it comes bundled with Microsoft Office. It should not be mistaken for Microsoft Script Debugger which is a piece of crap compared to MSE. MSE got all the nice features Visual Studio has without the bloat.
MSE is installed at %ProgramFiles%/Microsoft Office/OFFICE11/MSE7.exe. Older versions might be installed at a slightly different location and if you cannot find it just search for mse. If you still cannot find it and you have an old Microsoft Office CD lying around you can install it from there. If you select custom install or add remove components it should be located under Microsoft Office / Office Tools / HTML Tools /Web Scripting / Web Debugging.
By default script debugging is disabled in IE but you can enable it by

unchecking Tools / Internet Options... / Advanced / Disable script

debugging (Internet Explorer).
So how do you use this mysterious tool? MSE allows you to debug existing IE processes but more importantly it is triggered by the debugger statement (which by the way also works if you have Venkman opened for Mozilla). If you already have IE up and running or you canÂ’t edit the source files of the web application you can get into the debug mode by opening the Debug / Processes dialog and from there select the process to attach to.
Once in debugging mode you can step through the program to see what is going on. Out of the box not much is shown but things like local variables, watch, running documents, call stack and more is available to you under Debug / Window.

[/quote]
Guest6400
Advanced member
Advanced member

Error -2147418094

Post by Guest6400 »

Well, the same user is reporting to me that she isn't getting the bug today so far. I'm keeping my fingers/toes/legs crossed that it stays gone.
I'll let you guys know if/when it rears it's ugly head. If it comes back I will get that debugger and run it on the user's machine.
Thanks a lot for the response KevinH, it's nice to get some content in there so I can tell people a reason at least. :D
11416Vladimir
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Error -2147418094

Post by 11416Vladimir »

Well guys, I hate to ask this, but why aren't your developers just running the web client in IE with the debugger for a while? It seems to be wide spread. We are looking at zimbra at our large University and frankly this would be in many way a deal killer. I can't tell 70000 people to just live with it. I have one test user who sees this problem all the time. To help debug it, I switched to IE and I also see this problem all the time. I can and will install a debugger and see what I can see, but it would seem to me that if a few in house developers switched to using IE one of them is bound to run into it, as it seems that quite a few people are running into it in the wild.
Just a suggestion.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Error -2147418094

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="11416Vladimir"]Well guys, I hate to ask this, but why aren't your developers just running the web client in IE with the debugger for a while? It seems to be wide spread. [/QUOTE] The problem, as Kevin has already said, is that we are not able to reproduce this problem . So without a set of reproducible steps and debugging info from a problem installation then there isn't anything for us to work on.

[quote user="11416Vladimir"]We are looking at zimbra at our large University and frankly this would be in many way a deal killer. I can't tell 70000 people to just live with it. I have one test user who sees this problem all the time. To help debug it, I switched to IE and I also see this problem all the time. I can and will install a debugger and see what I can see, but it would seem to me that if a few in house developers switched to using IE one of them is bound to run into it, as it seems that quite a few people are running into it in the wild.[/QUOTE]If you have this problem and can easily reproducee it (as you've imdicated) then I suggest you get the data from the debugger and raise a support case (I assume it's an NE install?) and we'd be more than happy to work with you to resolve this problem.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
11416Vladimir
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Error -2147418094

Post by 11416Vladimir »

It is an NE installation, and I'll try to get you whatever info you need. I just find it strange that lots of people have this problem in the wild, but you don't see internally. I'm not saying it isn't so, its just wiered.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Error -2147418094

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="11416Vladimir"]It is an NE installation, and I'll try to get you whatever info you need. I just find it strange that lots of people have this problem in the wild, but you don't see internally. I'm not saying it isn't so, its just wiered.[/QUOTE]Yes, It's wierd - that's the problem with it. :D
As I said, raise a support case and someone will get back to you and thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Guest6400
Advanced member
Advanced member

Error -2147418094

Post by Guest6400 »

Filing a support case might not get you much as I was just told without reproduction steps there's nothing more to do. Buuuut, it looks like someone did find a consistent way to reproduce and has some steps. Josh Padnick posted this in my bugzilla ticket:

------- Additional Comment #9 From Josh Padnick 2007-08-13 13:30 CST [reply] -------
Well, I just submitted a really detailed bug report nad of course it was too

long for the system. Basically, this appears to be an RSS feed reading

problem. The problem was caused by x-gadget:///js/settings.js on line 164,

which is this function:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/

function loadSettingFromDisk()

{

if (System.Gadget.Settings.read("SettingsExist"))

{

this.clockName = unescape(System.Gadget.Settings.readString

("clockName"));

this.themeID = getValidThemeID(System.Gadget.Settings.read("themeID"));

this.timeZoneIndex = parseInt(System.Gadget.Settings.read

("timeZoneIndex"));

this.secondsEnabled = System.Gadget.Settings.read("secondsEnabled");

}

}

/////
This ultimately got down to the RSSReader.js file (I think). I'm using

IE7.6000.16473 on Vista. Hope this helps. I reproduced the problem as