Important Query from a NEW user,,..need response ASAP...Pleas !!

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
systemali

Post by systemali »

Hello All,
I have few queries from my prospective client, Please answer them in line "-
1 ) Deploying Third Party Antivirus & Anti Spam, Is this possible ONLY in the Network edition or can it be deployed in the FREE version too ?
2) If it can be integrated in any of the versions above, HOW can i integrate it, I need to "How-To" for this ?
3) The client also needs to keep a count of mails sent and received by individual User and Domain in week/month/year etc.. All the different kinds of logs.. What is available in FREE and PAID ?
Appreciate your earliest revert to my query.
Thank you once again.
j2b
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU12.64 U

Post by j2b »

Pardon me, if my assumptions are wrong, but you have to do some homework, if you plan to advise your customer on Zimbra. Nor I have any background on your knowledge level of IT systems. But here are answers, to get you started.
[QUOTE]1) Deploying Third Party Antivirus & Anti Spam, Is this possible ONLY in the Network edition or can it be deployed in the FREE version too ?[/QUOTE]
Short answer: It can be integrated with Network and OpenSource edition.
As per RFC (RFC 2505 - Anti-Spam Recommendations for SMTP MTAs (RFC2505)) the good practice is to get rid of spam on SMTP gateway or edge machines. In most cases it would be separate server if your planned budget allows this. Taking in mind this, it would be preferable to have separate mailbox server. Deployment of AS/AV systems outside Zimbra can get you benefit in terms of server resources needed to run Zimbra system, thus taking off the load for scanning to outside systems.
Deployment of other AS/AV systems can be a choice of a customer, if he/she is better with other vendors. Zimbra use SpamAssassin and ClamAV, which in most cases is quite OK. As well these components are tunable. This forum contains quite a few old discussions, regarding integration of 3-rd party solutions, but the only outcome is that it's easier to separate them out of Zimbra, thus leaving communications on SMTP level. And if such solution is achieved, it actually does not matter, which AS/AV 3-rd party software or service you use, as well as this works both similar in Open Source and Network Edition. If you need to integrate user accounts with such, you have to dig deeper, and look into LDAP or Amavis integration options.
[QUOTE]2) If it can be integrated in any of the versions above, HOW can i integrate it, I need to "How-To" for this ?[/QUOTE]
Short answer: deploy AS/AV system according to vendor (of your customer's choice) deployment notes and recommended configuration, or hire particular company to do it, if you do not have knowledge or do not want to spend time learning.
As mentioned before - in both versions, as far as your customer is OK with the budget. And again, depending on your choice - whether AS/AV system is commercial and/or offer some integration with other systems, like LDAP or Microsoft AD, your options may vary. With the same effect, external security services might be sufficient, but this depends on customer requirements for security, control and data manipulation. So to say, first you have to decide, what you'd like to integrate with, then read vendors documentation on How-To, or consult that great thing we all have in our offices - Google. Or ask particular questions on vendors forum/support sites.
[QUOTE]3) The client also needs to keep a count of mails sent and received by individual User and Domain in week/month/year etc.. All the different kinds of logs.. What is available in FREE and PAID ?[/QUOTE]
Short answer: Zimbra provide more server specific management stats, rather user oriented. I think, you have to look for something specific.
You can accumulate such info for free from both Zimbra versions, and build system or script making your accounting. Or integrate it with some advanced logging or stats systems. Or you can go on with standard Zimbra logs and stats. Some part of information is available via SNMP. But I doubt, that you'd get ready made things for your customer here. I lean towards to think, that this is kind of specific requirement.
To get better recommendations or solutions, you have to be pretty specific in terms of what you ask and HOW FAR HAVE YOU GONE WITH YOUR OWN FINDINGS. Or nobody has a time to start flame wars on what Antivirus is better, etc. There are different admins and system integrators here in the forum using different solutions and vendors, who may share some of their practice, if they see, that you're in the same boat, and info exchange is valuable. Zimbra is pretty complete and I'd say complicated integrated messaging and communication solution, but not just webmail. You may use it as it is, extend it with your own knowledge, necessity or imagination (it's still open source), or use commercial version, to get Zimbra guys to help you set things up, if you are missing something.
Hope this helps...
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

j2b, a very good piece of advice!.
We (FOSS users) have to remember what it's about.
Thanks!
ccelis
systemali

Post by systemali »

YOU HAVE GIVEN FANTASTIC REPLY "J2B"
HAT'S OFF TO YOU !!!!
YES it DOES HELP, with the kind of great explanation that you have given....It is going to help a lot of newbie who will pass by.
I hate to say this, But can't resist, If some mod's on this board could take a tip from your response..Zimbra will really grow even faster.
Best of luck..and yes, i have started doing my homework, but can't resist posting on the board :)
Take care !

I am sure this tread will turn out to be a great reference point for all !!!!!