Intentionally place all incoming email as 'held'

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rfic

Post by rfic »

Hey,
What would be the easiest way to set up zimbra so that for a period of time during the day (say an hour) all incoming mail would be received by Zimbra MTA but not dispatched to the relevant user@domain inbox?
We could use postsuper -H ALL but it would have to be run every second (literally) to hold all email for the time period, right?
Ideally a user would still have inbox access and be able to send email (although maybe not) but just not receive anything. After an hour, the queue is cleared (using postsuper?) and all is well.
Thoughts?
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

Can you talk more about why you want to do this crazy thing?
This seems to work for me:
zmprov ma auser@example.com zimbraMailTransport lmtp:mail.example.com:725 (where port 725 is unused)
And then to un-defer, set it back to zmprov ma auser@example.com zimbraMailTransport lmtp:mail.example.com:7025
rfic

Post by rfic »

Ok, I was thinking along the lines of lmtp... thanks. I'll look into a more efficient way to do it globally.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

Oh, if you want to do it GLOBALLY, not just for specific users, it might be easiest to insert an iptables rule near the top of the chain to deny access to tcp port 7025.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

(There's no daemon you can stop... it's part of the same java process as the web/imap server.)
rfic

Post by rfic »

Sounds good.