Auto-reply users that subdomain no longer used

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by yonatan »

I have a subdomain fax.example.com which users have sent emails to for forwarding to a fax server, e.g. 123456@fax.example.com (123456 is a fax number example).
The fax server is now being replaced with a cloud based solution and users will instead send emails to 123456@cloudfaxprovider.com (123456 is a fax number example)..
My question is if there is a way to auto-reply to users' emails at fax.example.com that they should send emails to the new email address 123456@cloudfaxprovider.com (123456 is a fax number example) during the transition period.
EDIT: Clearly my description above including the use of e.g. to provide an example fax-email address has been misinterpreted. There are no accounts under the subdomain fax.example.com. the "123456" in my example is a fax number.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="yonatan"]My question is if there is a way to auto-reply to users' emails at fax.example.com that they should send emails to the new email address 123456@cloudfaxprovider.com during the transition period.[/QUOTE]Isn't that what the Out-of-Office message on every account is for?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by yonatan »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Isn't that what the Out-of-Office message on every account is for?[/QUOTE]
How do you set an Out-of-Office message on a subdomain not account?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="yonatan"]How do you set an Out-of-Office message on a subdomain not account?[/QUOTE]Exactly the same as you'd set it on any account, go to the Account Preferences and set it there.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by yonatan »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Exactly the same as you'd set it on any account, go to the Account Preferences and set it there.[/QUOTE]
I'll repeat my question again there are no accounts under fax.example.com, so there are no Account Preferences for fax.example.com!
So, your suggestion to set an Out-of-Office message how is that possible for a subdomain or even domain without accounts!
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Brad_C »

That's amusing. Give us absolutely zero information about how your system is set up and then get snarky at people trying to help.
How about getting off your high horse and explaining how your mail was handled when it was working, and how it's handled now. Are you even using a zimbra server? How was it configured to send faxes?
What you want to do is a piece of cake with almost any mal system, but without actually giving us anything to go on tends to make the old crystal ball a bit cloudy.
Now, take a deep breath and try again.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="yonatan"]I have a subdomain fax.example.com which users have sent emails to for forwarding to a fax server, e.g. 123456@fax.example.com[/QUOTE]
[quote user="yonatan"]I'll repeat my question again there are no accounts under fax.example.com, so there are no Account Preferences for fax.example.com!
So, your suggestion to set an Out-of-Office message how is that possible for a subdomain or even domain without accounts![/QUOTE]Read your original question, you say there's an email address at 123456@fax.example.com - are you now telling me that this isn't on your server? If that's the case you'd be better explaining what your configuration is rather than posting your comments in bold comments as though I don't understand your question.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by yonatan »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Read your original question, you say there's an email address at 123456@fax.example.com - are you now telling me that this isn't on your server? If that's the case you'd be better explaining what your configuration is rather than posting your comments in bold comments as though I don't understand your question.[/QUOTE]
I've never said that there is an email address 123456@fax.example.com! I've said that there is a subdomain fax.example.com and that email to that subdomain is forwarded to a fax server. The address 123456@fax.example.com was provided as an example of such an email address. If that has not been clear then I apologise.
I did however point out in my second post in reply to your out-of-office suggestion that I was referring to a subdomain and not account which I don't see how it can be misinterpreted!
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by yonatan »

[quote user="Brad_C"]That's amusing. Give us absolutely zero information about how your system is set up and then get snarky at people trying to help.
How about getting off your high horse and explaining how your mail was handled when it was working, and how it's handled now. Are you even using a zimbra server? How was it configured to send faxes?
What you want to do is a piece of cake with almost any mal system, but without actually giving us anything to go on tends to make the old crystal ball a bit cloudy.
Now, take a deep breath and try again.[/QUOTE]
Amusing indeed. Evidently it's not just the "old crystal ball [which is] a bit cloudy."
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

yonatan, a simplistic solution...

Create an account for every number and set auto reply as phoenix pointed above.
ccelis