Open Souce edition backup advise

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
glennbtn
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by glennbtn »

Hi All
Since I started using Zimbra (currently I have a v7 and v8 edition running) I have stopped the zimbra services and then rsynced the opt/zimbra directory. I used this on my fist machine move from Centos 5.5 to Ubuntu 10.4 on v6.
I have been reading a 13 page heated post on here about backups and ldap and a file which seems to come across as possible 80gb. Now I am still a novice when it comes to Linux and I know if I search on here I will find lots of example of backups but an now confused whether any of these will be correct. I did notice a Zimbra employee saying we should not even be using rsync but with open source editions our options are a little limited.
I am looking for some advise here as to what I should really be doing in the way of backups just for security and even in the event of moving to a new server.
Thanks
Glenn
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

I cannot speak to the open source backups (since we're on the commercial edition) and I don't have experience with the open source backup methods.
In terms of moving to a new server, I highly recommend this wiki page on this. We've used these steps several times (usually for OS upgrades):

Ajcody-Notes-Server-Move - Zimbra :: Wiki
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="glennbtn"]Since I started using Zimbra (currently I have a v7 and v8 edition running) I have stopped the zimbra services and then rsynced the opt/zimbra directory.[/QUOTE]If this a a 32bit to 64bit move then you need to follow the Zimbra Certified wiki article on this subject, you must also move the same zimbra version (as you have installed on the current server) on the new server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
glennbtn
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by glennbtn »

Thanks all
But what should 1 be doing for backup's these days after reading this post I am confused about backups

Thanks
Glenn">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... 86gig.html
Thanks
Glenn
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="glennbtn"]But what should 1 be doing for backup's these days after reading this post I am confused about backups[/QUOTE]Are you asking a question about backups or moving ZCS to a new server? The 80GB sparse file is only relevant to ZCS 8.x and quanah has given details in that thread about what's needed for backing-up that file.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

Best recommendation is to store the /opt/zimbra partition on an LVM volume. Then to backup, shut down the server, make a snapshot of the volume, and start the server. You can then rsync the consistent snapshot or use another method to back that up to your backup location.
There are several example scripts around the forums and wikis showing how to set this up.
Federico Bertola
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Federico Bertola »

You're right Kris,
for a reliable backup using rsync or snapshot, all services must be shutting down!

But I suggest to take a look to the only realtime back solution for Zimbra OSS with no downtime.