Issues with outbound SMTP

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
snrduck

Post by snrduck »

Hi All,
I am having some issues getting outbound SMTP working.
My ISP blocks port 25 both ways except for their servers and they also don't allow relaying through their servers.
I use the dyn.com Mailhop and SMTP relaying services to get around these issues.
I have inbound mail working fine but outbound is still causing me issues.
My outbound mail ends up in the "deferred" queue because the messages get the following error: "Oct 5 06:59:59 phantom postfix/smtp[31834]: send attr reason = conversation with outbound.mailhop.org[204.13.248.72] timed out while receiving the initial server greeting"
I can telnet to outbound.mailhop.org on 465 and get a connection BUT I don't get any response to my EHLO command.. it just closes the connection.
Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this further ?
Regards
Chris
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

outbound.mailhop.org on port 465 uses SSL, and Zimbra's postfix doesn't account for that in a relay.
I believe you may find information on how to tweak it to use SSL with the relay in the wiki.
snrduck

Post by snrduck »

I am configured to use SSL/TLS and have followed the link you provided prior to posting this.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
If TLS was not enabled, I would get the "no suitable mech available" error I believe.
Instead I just get no response.
Regards,
Chris
ppearl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ppearl »

Based on what I've seen so far, it sounds like you're talking "in the clear" when you need to be on an ssl/tls channel instead. So, instead of:

$ telnet outbound.mailhop.org 465
you would want to try:

$ openssl s_client -connect outbound.mailhop.org:465
Then use your HELO/EHLO to get a response from the server. But then you need to make sure postfix is talking smtps instead of smtp (and then wanting to STARTTLS). Here are some useful references for this:

Postfix SASL Howto

Postfix TLS Support

Via that first link, you'll find the following statement (which leads you toward the second link provided above):

[QUOTE]The Postfix SMTP client does not support the obsolete "wrappermode" protocol, which uses TCP port 465 on the SMTP server. See TLS_README for a solution that uses the stunnel command.[/QUOTE]
So if you do this, you'll setup [URL=stunnel[/URL] as described in the second link and then tell postfix to route email through that tunnel.